Skip to main content

eXploring LonDon... High Street Kensington

heehee so the first time I published our weekend getaway plans, it fell through! What happened was we had a rail discount card and Cyn has some other similar card and we could use it but wow when we went to Paddington train station, the lady at the ticket office said that Bath was "out of the boundary" and train tickets are GBP49 each! so ex rite?! We were shocked coz a few days ago Cyn said the online price was only GBP17. So now we know we must buy online earlier to get cheaper prices.. (but seriously this is the first time we enconter exhorbitant train fares. Group save is still the best. (Pay 3 for the price of 2)
Sleepyhead- maybe if you bought yr Manchester train tix online prior to yr trip it would have been much cheaper. Still remem you paid like GBP65 fo
r it. What a rip off.

We were so looking forward to spending a day leisurely in Bath and were very disappointed.. sigh but what to do, we think we can spend GBP49 in a more fruitful way haha.. so we just had breakfast in cafe outside the train station (not nice btw.. I had burnt sausages!) and we took a bus to High Street Kensington. We planned to walk down to Sloane Square to see nice houses again. Oh did I mention that weather was superb today- the sun was out shining brightly (hurray) and already we see people walking about without jackets (ok I think this is still a bit extreme coz it was just like 12deg? and the cold wind does blow from time to time) but this really signals Spring time oohlala~

Guess what- the bus stopped right outside of a huge H&M! (omg omg this is my fav FAV store of all) and Cyn has been saying she wants to go H&M... so... ahem we were lured in... for 2h no less! When we emerged, it was already mid afternoon. Walked around somemore and from there we walked and walked SO much. From High St Kensington to Kensington Palace Gardens (where Princess Diana lived; and we love this garden with the many swans and ducks - they looked happy under the sun!) past Hyde Park down to Knightsbridge where Harrods is. It is always so crowded on the shopping street outside Harrods but we didnt go in anyway. Realised that reno's done on the exterior so took some photos of Harrods proper since we came. Finally took the tube on the ultra crowded Piccadilly line to Covent Garden in search of the oldest fish n chips in London as recommended by my colleague Kathryn. Found it and it's really just a small no frills diner and decided to get takeaway (we were reluctant to pay GBP3 more to sit in that oily and fishy smelling diner) and walked to Covent Garden market and enjoyed our traditional British fish n chips al fresco on the steps enjoying a street basker's songs. (surprisingly 4 people came up to us asking where we got our fish n chips from haha I say they shld pay us for publicity!)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the...

Cooking mee pok dry | bak chor and fishball noodles

When I touched down at Changi airport a few weeks ago, I was very hungry and K suggested grabbing a quick bite at the food court.  I immediately went for the queue at the bak chor (minced pork) noodles stall.  This one dish is very local and we simply can't find it here.  London's Chinatown has a few Malaysian restaurants with fried kway teow, chicken rice, laksa, etc but there is no authentic fishball noodles or minced pork noodles. When my friend Corinne shared this link last week, I was intrigued and I didn't know K was too.  He suggested going to the Asian supermarket on Sunday to get the necessary ingredients.  We found Dodo fishballs from Singapore here - what a win!  Unfortunately the mee pok (yellow, flat noodles) is of a darker shade here and tastes slightly different (maybe a different type of wheat?).  We found fishcakes too. http://delishar.com/2015/12/fishball-noodles-mee-pok-tah.html This is a healthier version of the hawker center'...

Happy 2025! A recap of my life.

Hello people, if you are still checking back in occasionally.  I doubt it, but hey if you are reading this, Happy 2025! I've been on radio silence (has it been 2 years?!) because finding time to blog as a full time working mum is hard.  Period.  However, I have made a mental note to start blogging again, because I do love to write.  And I would love my children to be able to read back on my life before I had them, my thoughts along the way.. a digital legacy if you may. Let me recap since the last I stopped blogging... we have 2 years to catch up on! 2022-2023 Looking back, my senses were hit 180 degrees by all the changes that came my way back in April 2022.  My circumstance rendered me impossible to even put in words how I truly felt inside.  You could say that my comfort zone which I had known for 14 years came crashing down on me, and what came along was challenging to say the least.  I was essentially crushed and could not breathe, figuratively....