Skip to main content

Kwee Lin comes to London (again!)

Almost 2 years ago when Cynthia and I were raw and new to London, it happened that Kwee Lin was posted here by her company for a few months and it was her who helped integrate us into London. Fast forward 2 years later, she is back again on a 2 week assignment. It was good to see her after so long, and especially so because we missed each other when I was back last October. Oh and did I mention she was also my shifu and lunch buddy at work when I first started, because it was her who taught me PnL stuff from Day 1 when I knew nothing.

We spent last Saturday together, having dim sum for lunch with my ex-intern. Wen's studying in Bath and specially came down to London with her bf and another friend. Kwee Lin's colleague recommended her this restaurant called Phoenix Palace and turns out Wen & guys were also thinking of going to the same place. How coincidental is that considering how big London is and how many Chinese restaurants are there! Plus this is not in the usual Chinatown; it's at Baker Street. Anyways I suggested us all going together. How fun to yum cha with friends from Hong Kong :) (It's cool to have friends in HK. We have a pact to visit each other when we go back to our countries in time to come. Plus sheepishly I must admit... I've never been to HK!!)

Wen's bf said since I am her shifu, that makes Kwee Lin *ahem* shi-gong!!

After lunch, we split up because KL was itching to head out to Primark and go on a spree. As usual the crowd was impossible but she had a really good time haha she lugged SO MUCH stuff we both kept laughing non stop because her basket was literally bulging out with clothes.

At night we met Alicia and hubby for dinner at an authentic Jap restaurant. Followed by yoghurt dessert at Snog near Soho.

As you might guess, we actually wanted to suggest dinner at Four Seasons restaurant (been a long while since I went) but aiyoo KL doesn't eat duck! :( And when we quizzed further, she doesn't take beef either. "I don't eat red meat." says KL. And Quek who was quiet all these while, suddenly asked very seriously, "Do you take char siew? What about bak kwa?" hahaha lame leh -_-"

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the...

Cooking mee pok dry | bak chor and fishball noodles

When I touched down at Changi airport a few weeks ago, I was very hungry and K suggested grabbing a quick bite at the food court.  I immediately went for the queue at the bak chor (minced pork) noodles stall.  This one dish is very local and we simply can't find it here.  London's Chinatown has a few Malaysian restaurants with fried kway teow, chicken rice, laksa, etc but there is no authentic fishball noodles or minced pork noodles. When my friend Corinne shared this link last week, I was intrigued and I didn't know K was too.  He suggested going to the Asian supermarket on Sunday to get the necessary ingredients.  We found Dodo fishballs from Singapore here - what a win!  Unfortunately the mee pok (yellow, flat noodles) is of a darker shade here and tastes slightly different (maybe a different type of wheat?).  We found fishcakes too. http://delishar.com/2015/12/fishball-noodles-mee-pok-tah.html This is a healthier version of the hawker center'...

Happy 2025! A recap of my life.

Hello people, if you are still checking back in occasionally.  I doubt it, but hey if you are reading this, Happy 2025! I've been on radio silence (has it been 2 years?!) because finding time to blog as a full time working mum is hard.  Period.  However, I have made a mental note to start blogging again, because I do love to write.  And I would love my children to be able to read back on my life before I had them, my thoughts along the way.. a digital legacy if you may. Let me recap since the last I stopped blogging... we have 2 years to catch up on! 2022-2023 Looking back, my senses were hit 180 degrees by all the changes that came my way back in April 2022.  My circumstance rendered me impossible to even put in words how I truly felt inside.  You could say that my comfort zone which I had known for 14 years came crashing down on me, and what came along was challenging to say the least.  I was essentially crushed and could not breathe, figuratively....