Skip to main content

eXploring Richmond & Kew

Since I arrived 2 years ago, Kathryn has been trying to invite me over to a day out at Kew Gardens but our schedules always clashed for some reason. And so finally 2 summers on, we fixed a date months in advance for our Bel-Kat Kew Day (just to make sure we both are free and have something to look forward to).

Also, after 2 years of hearing about her boyfriend, I finally met the legendary J. It's really funny coz I would ask about him and he would ask about me even though we haven't met before. Kat attributes this to her moaning too much about J to me but I don't think so. They are really a sweet couple! His grandma just turned 90 - yes 90 years old!- and I got to sample a piece of her home made lemon drizzle cake. However being the dear old lady, she is forgetful (which is understandable), so sometimes she forgets certain ingredients in her cakes. heehee so cute! I love sweet old ladies (no grumpy ones please).

House of Choc in Richmond High Street

Richmond is this posh area with massive houses and it's near Kew so we decided to meet there to get stuff for picnic. Guess what.. as this is England, it poured like anything!! :( We were ultra disappointed but we decided not to let the weather dampen our moods. I was reeeeaaally disappointed because I gave up going to Wales with my friends for our Kew escapade. Thankfully both Kat and J were great hosts, we had lunch at their local pub, before they gave me one of their free complimentary passes to get into the massive sprawling gardens and bringing me around. The rain did stop while we were there so at least not all was lost. We just couldn't sit on the ground for a picnic, nor roll on the grass as they promised to make me. hehe

More swans and cygnets! They were really hungry.. they swam towards us when they saw us coming. If we knew we'd have brought some bread for them.

Ironically because of the rain, I love the raindrops on this giant pink rose.

"Hello Mr. Bumblebee!"

I am not sure how many of us still remember our Enid Blyton storybooks from years ago but these pink flowers are foxgloves. I was actually excited to see them because I can still remember a story saying they have some magic in them; if you slip one of them on your finger, some fairy will appear (or something like that!).

There was a special butterflies exhibition where they released many butterflies in this enclosure so we were roaming in a room full of them. Umm.. I have to admit while taking this world class shot of the first butterfly below, I injured a butterfly that was resting on the floor! :/ oops.


They place fruits around for them to feed on.


A 3-in-1 rose?

Up on the tree top walk

Overall it was a lovely day not weather wise definitely but the company was great. Over here, work colleagues are usually not friends after work; they draw a very clear line which is good and bad in itself. Good because there are less politics and gossips flying around in the office, and bad because... where else are you gonna find friends?? I am really glad Kat and I defied the norm here.

Comments

Sabrina said…
You used to read Enyd Blyton??? OMG, I LOVED her books when I was little and still do now. Had no idea that she would be read in S'pore, too. How weird... :)

And sorry that over all those lovely pics in Kew this is the one thing that I had to comment on... ;)

Sabrina x
Belinda G. said…
yes Sabrina, I grew up reading Enid Blyton!!

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f