Skip to main content

Hello Glasgow, Hello Mcphersons

Sometime back, Sarah invited us few girls to join her back home in Glasgow for her birthday weekend. Coincidentally, her birthday is on 9 Aug, Singapore's National Day so I told her she has some sort of affinity with Singapore ;)

I thought it was somewhat a nice gesture of her and I agreed, and so together with Gabby, Nadya (another of Sarah's friend from Hillsong), we flew up from Luton. We spent the night over at Nadya's as she stays 10min away from Luton airport. When we woke up at 5am, I was greeted by a beautiful sunrise, and with the calmness and crisp fresh air in the countryside, wow I had to capture some shots already!


This marks my first trip out with non-Singaporeans and I was eager to find out how different would it be. This is also a very different trip as we spent a lot of time with her really nice and friendly family, the Mcphersons (including meeting her almost famous lil 3 year old nephew Jack).

Highlight of Day 1 - Cath Kidston store
On the first day it was pouring buckets so we spent more than half a day chilling out at her mum's place.

Finally we could leave the house and she brought us to Princes Square, just to walk around in the mall (due to the wet and intermittent rain) and we just sat down and had tea and cake. And then we went into the Cath Kidston store.

Ah, this deserves a special mention because when I first came to the UK, I never understood why people like the designs of this store. They sell bags, pouches, bedsheets (sounds familiar? Coz Jos and I got one set for the Queks as farewell gift recently!), aprons, etc.. all in pretty english rose prints. Or polka dots. It's very, very english countryside if you get what I mean. But after more than 2 years, and probably being influenced by Alicia and Jos, I somewhat grew to like it and so I bought my first purchase (well, actually second coz.... I bought the same bedsheet set we got for the Queks!! haha!) from the store. We also got Sarah's birthday present from there. Basically we had a little spree and spent a long time in the shop.

Walking around Glasgow

The shopping street

Nadya striking a pose

Afternoon tea


Highlight of Day 2 - Edinburgh!

Princes Street Gardens

Had to pull Sarah into this picture haha she was so reluctant to do such a touristy thing in her country.

I feel very blessed. This is my 3rd time here to Edinburgh. Last year, I was here with Yeelin (our search for Portobello Beach if you recall my post). I didn't expect to go to Edinburgh in this trip but Sarah said it's only a 45min train ride away and as both Gabby and Nadya haven't been to, they were all keen. I'm easy so I just went along. Furthermore, Sarah's aunt lives in Edinburgh and they had arranged to meet up for tea (How English! But they're Scottish!) at the National Gallery.

It was also the start of the world famous annual Edinburgh Fringe Festival so the mood in the air was very upbeat... the sun shone brightly, street baskers, artists, performers lined the streets especially along the Royal Mile. People from all over the world come to Edinburgh at this time of the year. So whilst the girls did the touristy thing of walking up the castle, I chose to attend the Impressionist Garden exhibition at the National Gallery. What a perfect timing as I am a big fan of impressionism art :)


We decided to take the touristy double decker bus which was good coz we didn't have to walk much. I like.

Arthur's Seat at Holyrood Palace

People out having picnics in the garden, so lovely!


Highlight of Day 3 - Jack!

Of course we have to meet the now legendary Jack. In fact, we couldn't wait to see this cute little thing. Finally the best is reserved for last. Sarah's family - we needed 3 cars, it was a proper family outing - decided to do a half day trip by bringing us to Loch Lomond, just outside Glasgow. This is a huge lake, and I just found out is classified by CNN as one of the most beautiful lakes in the world. Unfortunately the drive there took much longer than anticipated so we couldn't spend too much time there.

Following Jo's car, our live GPS

Jack was so excited about the lake, the boats, his football and couldn't stop jumping up and down. So much energy pent up in a 3 year old. And of course there is his cute little sister, Lily who is almost one year. We asked "Jack, do you love Lily?" And he would smile and nod his head, and then run over and kiss her. He is such a darling!!

Sarah misses them so much

Lily tries saying hi
(which btw, Sarah's brother Jo has such a huge apartment that they can fit a pool table with ample space for us to walk around.)

At Loch Lomond, I had to take a pic with our little star!

Jack waving to a passing ship. He was asking me if they could see his little wave. Aww
(In his cute little Scottish accent which I sometimes had to try very hard to understand!)

Loch Lomond

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f