Skip to main content

Eat Tan Laugh in Italy

Sardinia is a beautiful beautiful island in the Mediterranean Sea, south of Corsica (which belongs to France). Every summer, the rich and famous, the families, or simply anyone yearning for a great beach holiday flock to islands like Sardinia amongst others. After some research, Olbia (northeastern Sardinia) was where I really wanted to go and it's said to have the most beautiful beaches on the island, but it was ultra expensive especially over a UK bank holiday. Hence we decided to fly to the north western city of Alghero.

Alghero ("al-ghee-ro") is a quiet coastal town, with a rich history dating back to 900 years ago. The city centre is small with it's narrow cobbled streets lined with Italian cafes, gelato shops, restaurants, and of course piazzas with al fresco dining. Being too desperate for the 3 S factors sun, sea and sand, Jos and I decided to pamper ourselves and choose a really nice hotel. Of course we couldn't afford the most beautiful hotel Villa Las Tronas, standing majestically on its own peninsular (although we walked past it everyday and admired it on our way to the city centre).

From our hotel balcony, we had a good view of the Mediterranean beach

Villa Las Tronas

Anyhow, the main focus.. is of course the beautiful beach. We were so excited to be basking under the sun while admiring the rich blue, sometimes 2 or even 3 toned waters. It was bliss.

And let the pictures galore start... this is gonna be a long post.. you've been warned!

Day 1 - Exploring Alghero city centre

The coastal walk towards Alghero centre

As our hotel's a good 20min walk (and I mean brisk walking) to city centre, we decided to explore Alghero on the first day, and then gradually limit our distance to city centre. It's meant to be a beach getaway afterall. The beach is where we need to be.



This is said to be the best gelato in town. We couldn't agree more.
In fact, we had one everyday.

Traditional Sardinian nougat which I bought back for my colleagues.

And while walking along the port, this Italian guy walked up to us and asked if we want to see the caves. "Caves?" He meant the Grotta di Nettuno (Neptune's Grotto). Since we had no concrete plans, why not? Jos says she has read about these caves too. And it was on this cruise that we spotted this really ahem hot Italian guy which I swear, looks like a splitting image of Wentworth Miller in Prison Break! (= my fav! haha) I think Jos and I couldn't stop stealing glances towards his direction. But sigh, he had a very possessive gf beside him. Anyway, some eye candy does no harm eh?

Out at sea! Beautiful waters :)

Inside the huge caves

Heading back towards Alghero marina

Admiring the sunset

Time for dinner at the night market. Roasted pork sandwich anyone?

And enjoyed our dinner by the beach. Seriously, one of the most beautiful sunsets ever.
And this is exactly what we saw; no photoshop needed!

Day 2 - Bosa & Bosa Marina

The colorful houses of Bosa

I read that Bosa is one of the most beautiful villages in Sardinia, and a "20min bus ride away". Little did we realise the actual bus ride took us a good 40min in the winding mountainous roads along the coast. (We found out that Sardinia is a mountainous island, and this is no small island. In fact, we think it's bigger than Singapore.) When we reached Bosa village centre, the sun was beating down and we had no idea where to go or what to do. Just before we got down the bus, I heard this couple asking the Italian driver.. "next stop, Bosa marina?" And the reply came "Si, si.. bosa marina..." so Jos and I quickly scrambled onto the bus again, thinking might as well go to the beach. At least we would know what to do!

Wow, Bosa Marina. It's a beautiful sprawling beach packed with Italian families on their summer beach vacation. We were the odd ones out, standing out from the crowd with our cameras in tow. Kids were laughing, screaming, playing around, building sandcastles, jumping into the rich blue waters while most adults were sun tanning. And Italian conversations were throwing about in the air. The scene around us was exactly the kind of European family beach vacation we see on tv or in the movies. Eventually we each took a deck chair and settled down. Finally, we blended into the crowd. Well, sort of.

A beach cafe

"Welcome to Bosa Marina!"

Settling down in my deck chair

Love the colorful beach umbrellas


Enjoying our seafood lunch

Superb view

Day 3 - Full on beach day


Having paid quite a bit for our hotel, we had to enjoy the hotel's private beach. Excitedly, we chose two of the prime beach chairs, and started tanning and reading our storybook (Jos was reading Eat Pray Love, and I grabbed my half price read from Waterstones at the airport.)

My half price read. Not bad as a beach read.. chick lit.

Time ticked by. For me, it was a mix between reading and people watching. When I got bored reading, I looked around me. And the whole time, Jos was hooked onto her book. And I mean very hooked. She was practically silent. And at times, I felt really bored.

There was a cute baby boy with golden curls building sandcastles with his hot Italian mama and very cool looking grandma. And this other Italian mama and her daughter arrived. The kids and the mothers meet. And they started talking and easily, they become friends. In another corner is a group of old ladies, all in their bathing suits talking excitedly in Italian. What amazed us is seeing really old grandmas in swimsuits, or even bikinis. Nearby is the "beach caretaker" who was sweeping piles of seaweed to one side so hotel guests could enjoy the beach. And in the far distance are random couples, friends just sitting around, chatting or reading, basking in the 30deg sunshine. (Once again, we were the only 2 Chinese looking girls.)

I got bored so I told Jos I'm gonna adjourn to the pool which was just across the road. And so that was how we spent the whole morning and afternoon. Moving from beach to pool, and ended at the beach again. Because of the hot weather, we didn't even feel the need to have lunch. I must say I got really restless at times (I just need more practice haha).

Jos' read.


After one whole day of trying to master "the art of doing nothing" as Jos says, it was time to wash up and head back into town to get dinner. Our last dinner in Sardinia. And we were greeted by another beautiful sunset.


This has been a wonderful summer so far. Another truly blessed trip. :))
C'est la vie!

~~~~~

If you still wanna see more amazing pictures, here's the album

Comments

sojjos said…
"She was practically silent. And at times, I felt really bored."
THIS IS SO FUNNY! LOL.

Eh - work harder on the art of doing nothing!!!!!!!!
Belinda G. said…
hahaha it's true, i really got quite bored after sometime! anyway yeah def need more practice.

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f