Skip to main content

The Food Post

Hotpot dinner
Finally met up with Ariel after she went MIA for a few months. She suggested bringing me to this Chinese hotpot place for dinner after work last Friday. Imagine the freezing cold outside, and we were inside having hotpot, slurping the ma la (spicy) soup full of chillis. And look at the plate of food we finished! Frankly I have to say I was quite disgusted with our appetite that night. *embarrassed*

Look at the amount of chillis in the soup!

Breakfast
When I was in Munich in October, if you remember my post, M and I went to a cafe called Tambosi for breakfast which I really liked. I ordered their massive french toast with fruits and it was unforgettable. So much so that I tried recreating it at home and lucky Sarah got a taste of it. Will definitely do it again! Yes I see your hand Sabrina hehe ;)

Bel's version - french toast with fruits and drizzled with golden syrup and cinnamon chocolate powder

I'm really happy with how easy and yummy it looks :)



Lunchie
Was home alone on Saturday, and decided to finish up the leftover pasta I had in the fridge by throwing in some prawns and mushrooms fried in chopped garlic and black pepper, and also the biggest basil leaves I got from M&S. Anything with garlic is always yummy. mmm...



Dessert
What to do with the leftover bunch of bananas which I got for the french toast breakfast? Chanced upon Nigella Lawson's Banana Chocolate muffins on a blog, and I thought might as well use the bananas and try it out! You have to give credit to me.. for it's a Monday night and I ended work a little later than usual today. While having dinner, I started preparing and didn't finish till 10.30pm. And then I am here blogging about it! Efficient eh? Whole house now is smelling of banana and chocolate btw.


3 very ripe or overripe bananas
125ml vegetable oil
2 eggs
100g soft light brown sugar
225g plain flour
3 x 15ml tablespoons best-quality cocoa powder, sifted
1 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
1 x 12-bun muffin tin

1. Preheat the oven to 190°C and line a muffin tin with papers.

2. Mash the bananas by hand or with an electric mixer. Still beating and mashing, add the oil followed by the eggs and sugar.

3. Mix the flour, cocoa powder, and bicarb together and add this mixture, beating gently, to the banana mixture, then spoon it into the prepared papers.

4. Bake in the preheated oven for 15–20 minutes, by which time the muffins should be dark, rounded and peeking proudly out of their cases. Allow to cool slightly in their tin before removing to a wire rack.

Serves: Makes 12

Bel's verdict- it wasn't sweet at all.. I think the light brown sugar I used was super light.. might use another type of sugar, and also add in more milk/dark chocolate. A little more chocolate doesn't hurt! Overall, tastes like healthy muffins because of the low level of sweetness.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the...

Cooking mee pok dry | bak chor and fishball noodles

When I touched down at Changi airport a few weeks ago, I was very hungry and K suggested grabbing a quick bite at the food court.  I immediately went for the queue at the bak chor (minced pork) noodles stall.  This one dish is very local and we simply can't find it here.  London's Chinatown has a few Malaysian restaurants with fried kway teow, chicken rice, laksa, etc but there is no authentic fishball noodles or minced pork noodles. When my friend Corinne shared this link last week, I was intrigued and I didn't know K was too.  He suggested going to the Asian supermarket on Sunday to get the necessary ingredients.  We found Dodo fishballs from Singapore here - what a win!  Unfortunately the mee pok (yellow, flat noodles) is of a darker shade here and tastes slightly different (maybe a different type of wheat?).  We found fishcakes too. http://delishar.com/2015/12/fishball-noodles-mee-pok-tah.html This is a healthier version of the hawker center'...

Happy 2025! A recap of my life.

Hello people, if you are still checking back in occasionally.  I doubt it, but hey if you are reading this, Happy 2025! I've been on radio silence (has it been 2 years?!) because finding time to blog as a full time working mum is hard.  Period.  However, I have made a mental note to start blogging again, because I do love to write.  And I would love my children to be able to read back on my life before I had them, my thoughts along the way.. a digital legacy if you may. Let me recap since the last I stopped blogging... we have 2 years to catch up on! 2022-2023 Looking back, my senses were hit 180 degrees by all the changes that came my way back in April 2022.  My circumstance rendered me impossible to even put in words how I truly felt inside.  You could say that my comfort zone which I had known for 14 years came crashing down on me, and what came along was challenging to say the least.  I was essentially crushed and could not breathe, figuratively....