Skip to main content

Farewell dinner for a sweet old gran

Fast forward to a week after our New Year's lunch, this time it was M and I to play host to the Geesons and Mama Teresa. We hosted a farewell dinner for dear Mama Teresa at our place.


What a lovely night it was, and I really like Mama Teresa so much I think I'll miss her. It's not easy for her to say goodbye to her favourite granddaughter Gabby, but she needs to go home as Gabby's grandpa is waiting eagerly for her return (so sweet!), as with her many friends back home in Ecuador. Apparently she bought so many London souvenirs for her friends (too popular), and she didn't buy a single thing for herself. Aww, bless her heart. But I did! I bought her a pinky pink travel pillow for her 15h flight back home. And the most amazing thing- she's gonna do this trip back on her own, with 2 transits. What a brave mama!

She is so soft spoken and when she saw the pillow, she just hugged it and said in Spanish she loves her present and will use it on her flight.

And dinner is served.
M was our chef du jour, following a Nigella Lawson's recipe of roasted chicken with potatoes and chorizo (Spanish sausages) which might not look as nice as it tasted. But trust me, it was divine. Ben ate till he could eat no more. And Mama Teresa gently told Ben he has to learn how to cook this for Gabby. haha feel the stress, Ben!





Look, that is my first real Christmas tree! M ordered it when I was back in SG last month and it arrived before the snowstorm came. It's a tradition to take down Christmas trees in this house only on Feb 14. haha just because M loves the smell of a real tree in the house. And so far, it is surviving very well!



As with the many sad farewells, I am not sure if I'll ever see her again, as Ecuador, or South America in general is very far fetched for me right now. At least I take joy that our paths did cross at some point in our lives. :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the...

Cooking mee pok dry | bak chor and fishball noodles

When I touched down at Changi airport a few weeks ago, I was very hungry and K suggested grabbing a quick bite at the food court.  I immediately went for the queue at the bak chor (minced pork) noodles stall.  This one dish is very local and we simply can't find it here.  London's Chinatown has a few Malaysian restaurants with fried kway teow, chicken rice, laksa, etc but there is no authentic fishball noodles or minced pork noodles. When my friend Corinne shared this link last week, I was intrigued and I didn't know K was too.  He suggested going to the Asian supermarket on Sunday to get the necessary ingredients.  We found Dodo fishballs from Singapore here - what a win!  Unfortunately the mee pok (yellow, flat noodles) is of a darker shade here and tastes slightly different (maybe a different type of wheat?).  We found fishcakes too. http://delishar.com/2015/12/fishball-noodles-mee-pok-tah.html This is a healthier version of the hawker center'...

Happy 2025! A recap of my life.

Hello people, if you are still checking back in occasionally.  I doubt it, but hey if you are reading this, Happy 2025! I've been on radio silence (has it been 2 years?!) because finding time to blog as a full time working mum is hard.  Period.  However, I have made a mental note to start blogging again, because I do love to write.  And I would love my children to be able to read back on my life before I had them, my thoughts along the way.. a digital legacy if you may. Let me recap since the last I stopped blogging... we have 2 years to catch up on! 2022-2023 Looking back, my senses were hit 180 degrees by all the changes that came my way back in April 2022.  My circumstance rendered me impossible to even put in words how I truly felt inside.  You could say that my comfort zone which I had known for 14 years came crashing down on me, and what came along was challenging to say the least.  I was essentially crushed and could not breathe, figuratively....