Skip to main content

New Year's Lunch

M and I spent a nice chilled out New Year's Day at Gabby and Ben's. They invited us to join them for a New Year's Lunch at their place. They live a little outside London so we had to catch the train from London Bridge station.

Being in the countryside does feel different! Big houses, lots of greenery... nice for a change!


So while the chef was hard at work (notice he is Licensed to Grill haha), Mama Teresa continued knitting a scarf for Ben (in his favourite colour, no less)...

... while we looked at more of their wedding photos taken by the official photographer.

We are hungry... hurry up chef!

To me, the star of the day was Gabby's 75 year old gran, known affectionately as "Mama Teresa". She is such a dear old lady and reminds me so much of my own grandmother! (They both have same curly curly hair.) She's been here since November for their wedding and will be flying home to Ecuador very soon. She doesn't speak English so unfortunately we couldn't converse much, and needed Gabby to be our translator. But we all did manage to play a few rounds of Jenga! Something which she doesn't need English, and we didn't need Spanish for. :)

A very quiet and simple afternoon indoors, in the English countryside!



I told Mama Teresa I'll take a photo with her together and show my grandma :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the...

Cooking mee pok dry | bak chor and fishball noodles

When I touched down at Changi airport a few weeks ago, I was very hungry and K suggested grabbing a quick bite at the food court.  I immediately went for the queue at the bak chor (minced pork) noodles stall.  This one dish is very local and we simply can't find it here.  London's Chinatown has a few Malaysian restaurants with fried kway teow, chicken rice, laksa, etc but there is no authentic fishball noodles or minced pork noodles. When my friend Corinne shared this link last week, I was intrigued and I didn't know K was too.  He suggested going to the Asian supermarket on Sunday to get the necessary ingredients.  We found Dodo fishballs from Singapore here - what a win!  Unfortunately the mee pok (yellow, flat noodles) is of a darker shade here and tastes slightly different (maybe a different type of wheat?).  We found fishcakes too. http://delishar.com/2015/12/fishball-noodles-mee-pok-tah.html This is a healthier version of the hawker center'...

Happy 2025! A recap of my life.

Hello people, if you are still checking back in occasionally.  I doubt it, but hey if you are reading this, Happy 2025! I've been on radio silence (has it been 2 years?!) because finding time to blog as a full time working mum is hard.  Period.  However, I have made a mental note to start blogging again, because I do love to write.  And I would love my children to be able to read back on my life before I had them, my thoughts along the way.. a digital legacy if you may. Let me recap since the last I stopped blogging... we have 2 years to catch up on! 2022-2023 Looking back, my senses were hit 180 degrees by all the changes that came my way back in April 2022.  My circumstance rendered me impossible to even put in words how I truly felt inside.  You could say that my comfort zone which I had known for 14 years came crashing down on me, and what came along was challenging to say the least.  I was essentially crushed and could not breathe, figuratively....