Skip to main content

Norwegian Wood

"If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking." - Nagasawa

A friend asked me to help bring some books back to Singapore last month, one of which is Haruki Murakami's Norwegian Wood. Since there was some time between me laying my hands on it and the time I got back home, I grabbed the chance to read this book since I saw that it's one of the bestsellers at Waterstones.

Norwegian Wood is a song by the Beatles, and the favourite song of one of the characters Naoko. It's a love story set in Tokyo in the 60s, and the main character is Toru Watanabe, a uni student who did not want to conform to the typical society (at least in his uni), and was much a loner but didn't mind so. He falls in love with Naoko, and later Midori. But much more than a love story, it tells a story of life and fragility of it.

Death exists, not as the opposite but as a part of life."
- Toru

I'm not sure if I could do it justice by writing a book review on it, but reading it, you sure feel transported to Tokyo in the 60s. His vivid description of places, people and things and the way he writes the feelings of the main characters - all which makes it a good book to me. That aside, I have to say this book gave me an "arty feel" at times- this I cannot explain well. But it sure did make me ponder over conformation in society, life in general, love and the lack of it, albeit slightly biased towards the negative and depressive sense of it all. For after all, the story is told in the first person narrative, Toru, who is a confused loner, searching for the meaning of life and love, and on the verge of depression to me. Marukami managed to bring three characters with their own life baggage and stories, confused and all, and brings their paths together and weaves it into a good book because you are able to identify your life in parts of it.

Perhaps with all these above combined, that is my definition of an "arty book".

"Just remember, life is a box of cookies"
I shook my head a few times and looked at her. "Maybe I'm not so smart, but sometimes I don't know what on earth you're talking about."
"You know, they've got these cookie assortments, and you like some but you don't like others? And you eat all the ones you like,and the only ones left are the ones you don't like as much? I always think about that when something painful comes up. 'Now I just have to polish these off, and everything'll be OK.' Life is a box of cookies."
"I suppose you could call it a philosophy."
"It's true, though. I've learned it from experience."
Dialogue between Midori Kobayashi and Toru Watanabe

This book published in 1987 was made so popular in Japan that it almost garnered a cult following much to the dismay of the author. He wanted to remain a humble and unknown writer perhaps- he had to flee Japan can you believe it. It was translated twice into English and the version I read was the second translation.

Best of all, a movie adaptation of this book is coming right up! And Toru is played by the same guy who played "L" in Death Note. Hehe I think it's a good choice and I will definitely be watching it here when it opens in March :) can't wait!


"Being able to say you don't have any money [is the best thing about being rich]. Like, if I suggested to a classmate we should do something, she could say, 'Sorry, I don't have any money.' Which is something I could never say if the situation was reversed. If I said 'I don't have any money,' it would really mean 'I don't have any money.' It's sad. Like if a pretty girl says 'I look terrible today, I don't want to go out,' that's O.K., but if an ugly girl says the same thing people laugh at her."
- Midori Kobayashi

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f