Skip to main content

Post CNY Meals *burp*

I've just had a post CNY weekend over here in London, lots of food as you can imagine. No prizes for getting it right :)

Saturday night was a dinner party at Jolyn's. She kindly arranged it well after CNY actually, so I could attend it. Before that, she actually set a rule saying each of us has to bring a friend just to make it a more social night. The only criteria is that the person has to like Chinese food, and wants to celebrate CNY. And having not many Singaporean friends left here, I had to think long and hard before I decided to invite.. haha a pure Aussie friend L from church. He is Aussie on the outside but Chinese on the inside coz he simply loves Chinese food. (He calls himself an egg- go figure.)

It was a potluck dinner party and I volunteered to cook the simple spring onion ginger chicken. So I happily made a trip to Tesco, returned home and started preparing when I realised *gasp* I forgot about the ginger! That was a mini panic moment but thankfully the little shop across the road had some ginger to save my day. C'mon Bel!

Presenting my humble contribution


That's J helping to scoop some rice for us; and me looking over in a skeptical manner - I'm not sure why this expression!

Flatmates :)


We wanted to take a picture with the Banksy print behind us;
And in L's words "the only 2 guai los" at the party.

Sunday morning, I had to wake up early for breakfast at Sarah's, and then.. rushing down to Chinatown for another meal- dim sum!

Lanterns up in Chinatown

This had been arranged some time back before my trip home, and finally I managed to meet up with C and his friends, coincidentally all Aussies. And so I had dim sum with a table of 5 other Aussies. Felt very outnumbered yes. Haha but they were really nice and friendly so it was okay :) It's really lovely to meet people from all walks of life, and not boring finance people like myself. Like E, who is almost the sweetest girl I've ever met, is working for Disney in their consumer products division, and then C is working as an animator for a Hollywood company - how cool is that? Geez and I work with nasty traders everyday.

We ate and talked non stop till we missed the third service and had to go back for the last service.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f