Skip to main content

Summer with the locals | Norway - Day at the Beach / Take it easy, guys!

Thank God the riots have died down right after they deployed 16,000 policemen on the streets of London, so allow me to finally finish blogging about Norway.

After a super tiring day climbing Preikestolen, we opted for a easy and relaxing third day.

Breakfast al fresco to take advantage of the morning sun

I went around taking some photos of Karin's garden which she is so proud of. Many kinds of colourful plants, an apple tree.. even a little strawberry patch! My grandma would love having a garden like hers.

Flowers ... and lavender too!

It was yet another bright and sunny day so Kine's dad drove us around their little town and explained to us bits of their history here and there. Nothing beats a personal tour guide like him. After that, he dropped us three at their local beach. We planned to lie on the beach that afternoon and go for a little bit into the waters. That was about as much as we planned to do.

When we reached there, it was crowded. Full of local residents so we two Asians with black hair stood out among the sea of blondes and drew some stares hehe but all good. We found a spot and there we parked ourselves for the next few hours.

Surprisingly the waters were cold despite the hot temperatures of about 26deg. We saw families with children and many parents were teaching the young kids how to swim. It was suitable because the waters were very shallow for quite a far bit.

Back at their home and looking all tan and relaxed, we were in for a treat- a typical Norwegian seafood dinner. The parents were at home preparing whilst we were at the beach, bless them. I went with Kine to their supermarket to get some bread and drinks, and soon after, the table was set.


After dinner, Jan suggested we should play a game of "life and death" called Kubbs. As they have a big patch of grass in front of their house, he went to set up the mini "pitch". Apparently the family plays it every summer ever since Kine could remember. And it was fun!

And then it was dessert time. (You start to wonder how can they eat so much) Homemade Norwegian waffles. It's slightly different from Belgian waffles which we are familiar with because Karin added in some cardamon and cinnamon into the batter. We had it with ice cream and all I could say at that moment was.. "I don't want to go back to London!"


Having fun in their garden


My Norwegian girl is still not tired of rocks. Kine must have practiced climbing on rocks all her life starting in her garden.


Decided to post this unglam photo of me to illustrate my knees were still very much aching!
~~~~~

On our last morning, we just spent it at their house having a really long breakfast before being joined by Kine's sister and brother in law. I felt a bit bad that they all had to switch to speaking in English just so we could understand them. Looking at how happy this family is, I can truly say that God has blessed them greatly and nothing compares to having such a close knitted Christian family with Jesus in the centre of their lives. How very precious.


Comments

weifen said…
Hi Bel! Your Norway trip looked really relaxing, nice! Love those jumping shots, u guys sure could jump HIGH! Are you using any particular photo editing software to do your collage? the flowers collage is so nice
Belinda G. said…
Hi Weifen, hehe somehow the camera made us appear to jump very high. Yes I used this website- www.photovisi.com to make the collages. Try it, it's super easy.

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f