Skip to main content

London Under Attack

Oh my goodness London is under attack from mindless thugs rioting! It started last Saturday night in Tottenham, north of London following the killing of a man and I didn't think too much of it thinking it's not near me. When I woke up this morning I soon realised that it has spread rapidly, with fires burning down buildings, looting and rioting all over the place. Looters were breaking into shops blatantly taking away whatever they could. Arsonists set fire to buildings, cars and bins.

It was very scary indeed. Gabby's neighbourhood of Croydon had a huge building burnt down last night and luckily where she and Ben are living are safe. My neighbourhood is ok too but I soon read that Lewisham which isn't too far away from me had riots there too. The huge supermarket 5min to where I live was looted last night. O.M.G.

I went in to work, and my manager came over saying I can leave as long as I'm done for the day. Throughout the day, the TV near me which usually is switched on Bloomberg TV, has been switched to Sky News which reported on the riots non stop all day, with scary images of what's happening. M emailed me saying Surrey Quays shopping centre in my previous neighbourhood has been evacuated and looting has started not far away on Lower Road. Craziness, it is so close to home now!


I spoke to my ex manager who lives in Enfield which is one of the worst hit areas. The huge building was still burning this morning. He says he saw some fires, and that the police should just use gunfire to stop the rioting (I think he was joking.. I hope so! But this is one fed up peace loving resident of the area whose normal daily life has been compromised.) He told me this is not about the dead guy anymore but a consequence of social problems. These teenagers have not much education, and have not much future. Things are expensive, housing prices are over the roof, and they can't afford much so since people are looting, might as well join the crowd and get some free stuff. "I tell you what can stop them," he said. "The rain. Once it rains, people will just go indoors." haha he and his British sense of humour.

I saw policeman around St Paul's area when I met K for lunch. I wondered if I should feel safe or worried. Then at 4.30pm, I heard that all managers have been asked to get everyone out within the next 20 minutes. One director walked around the floor asking people to leave. People were all talking about it, and then I heard Jenn's tube station has been just attacked, I wonder if she could get home ok. M emailed me again saying to take the ferry if possible as people are all leaving work for home en masse. This is just insane. People were wishing one another "Good luck in getting home" when we left.

I left at 5pm and I saw people were walking faster than usual, everywhere was in a tense and sombre mood. Thank God DLR was running ok and I got home before 6pm! I can't remember reaching home this early from work actually haha

Am watching the news now as I'm blogging. The England-Holland friendly football match tomorrow has been cancelled. Police are all called into the streets tonight, it's the biggest operation ever, so hopefully we will wake up to an okay morning. I salute these brave policemen. Policemen in Singapore should feel so lucky, they don't have to deal with such crap. Maybe Mimi would think otherwise hehe but let's see how it goes tomorrow morning, fingers crossed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f