Skip to main content

Halloween Party

My second Halloween milestone happens in 2011. Halloween's never big in Singapore and it almost meant nothing to me before I came to London. Last year, Marketa bought back three big pumpkins and taught us girls how to carve out Jack-O-Lanterns and we had such a great time. This year, I am tempted to do the same, but before that my new manager Aneeza kindly invited K and I over to her house for a Halloween Dress Up party.

Yes a dress up party. Initially we were excited over the possibility of dressing up. But with such a busy work week, I thought we could be the boring Singaporeans and turn up in normal clothes. On Friday night before we left work, Aneeza reminded me again her address (all the way over in Wimbledon village in southwest London) and mentioned most of the people invited will be dressing up. Oh. Ok. Panic. Now I don't want us to be the boring Singaporeans! Being the perfect hostess that she is, she recommended me this costume shop near Old Street which is supposedly to be good and is used by BBC from time to time.

When we went down, it was jam packed. The fitting rooms were full with people trying on costumes. I tried one too- Little Red Riding Hood! I suggested that K could be the evil wizard instead of the witch we read in the fairy tale so both of us turning up together makes sense. Really liked it but omg to rent that for a week costs GBP60! Err ok.. let's try to see if there are cheaper options. Outside near the till area, people were grabbing off wigs, vampires' fangs, capes, fake blood off the shelves. The broomsticks were literally flying off the shelves! A real frenzy I tell you. All the last minute people like us!

So from boring Singaporeans, we became sporting Singaporeans and so we turned up as....



Couldn't tell? More clearer shots?


hahaha yes I dressed up as a witch and K was the vampire. With fangs and fake blood trails from the eye and lips.



Please call me Be-witched thank you.
Lovin' my broomstick! And my red witch hat (spiders hanging down mind you) with people complimenting it looks kinda posh. haha

In case you think it was OTT, look at my manager the hostess. She's supposed to be Morticia from the Addams family. Supposed to be dead too so she refused to smile for photos. Love her super OTT eyelashes. We were joking she looks like this everyday in office. That might be able to scare people to get work done.

Even Aneeza says she is scared by herself looking at this photo.

Look! A fellow witch! Who left her broomstick at home so she had to borrow mine.

Us, colleagues at work It sounds funny but it's actually unusual to invite colleagues for your personal home parties such as this because people love to keep separate work and social lives here.

We talked to some of her friends and to be honest, I think we must have been the youngest in the crowd. Most of them are parents with kids who go to the same school, and very local to Wimbledon. We were the East London folks who had to drive almost two hours to her place. Interestingly along the way we saw so many people dressing up for parties including a group of werewolves who were prowling the streets of Clapham howling, and totally into character. And obviously some were already drunk by 9pm in the streets.

The venue was a beautiful 3 storey house with a back garden (full of fake grass Aneeza told me). They hired people to set up the canopy in the backyard and one table full of drinks and the other full of nibbles. Her husband Shaun who is Irish is known to be a good cook and cooked three dishes including his home specialty - oxtail soup.


He's dressed up as this old cartoon character which I didn't recognise but he looks so cute, and he wanted to steal my broom.




Serving some exotic food. Had to take a pic of her side profile. Her eyelashes!

The cocktail making session



Hmm it's late... I think I am gonna fly homeeeee
Till next year... Bye bye!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f