Skip to main content

Housewarming Party

Two parties in two consecutive Saturdays. (Woah I sound like some party animal but I am not.) This time round, it is my turn to co host our very own housewarming party with my housemates Rebecca and Marcia.

These two girls came up with this idea and managed to convince me (not that I needed much) to do it. They set the date of 5 Nov and told me about their grand plans when I came back from Singapore. "Sounds like fun, yes let's do it!"

Marcia, Me, Rebecca

Between 3 of us, we invited more than 40 people turned up and yes, close to 40 turned up. I think it's the biggest party I've ever hosted. Not that I have hosted many parties. I was fretting quite a bit the days leading to Saturday because I had no idea what food we should provide and from where I come from, house warming parties pretty much means chicken curry, fried bee hoon, fried rice, chicken wings, otah... err... fishballs? Super Singaporean haha and doing it with an Australian and Irish is gonna be very different. Luckily, Rebecca is THE foodie in this house. She bakes and cooks so very well and she kindly volunteered to take care of the food. Which leaves Marcia and I the task of cleaning up.

Partnership on Friday night. We came back after work and started working rightaway. I hoovered the floor, Marcia cleaned the bathroom and Rebecca started making her pies. All from scratch. She had minced meat pies, Thai chicken curry pies (her own creation), spinach and ricotta pastry, and vegetable pies. Not only that, she made mini pumpkin and honeycomb muffins, and pumpkin scones (in light of post Halloween week...)... and most likely I've left some dishes out. Seriously I don't know how she did it. It was like magic.


The all amazing Rebecca. Her sister came down to help out and join in the fun too.

Homemade pumpkin and honeycomb muffins

Homemade pumpkin scones
(Pumpkin as Rebecca was still caught in the Halloween fever)

We had set the party to be from 12-5pm to stagger the "crowd" and the first guests started arriving just before 2pm. Slowly the living room started to build up with our friends and soon the fire in the fireplace became unnecessary as it was getting crowded and hot! Very good turnout and Rebecca and sister were busy running in and out from the kitchen serving her pies and muffins, and we were busy serving people drinks. Marcia made a pot of hot cider and apple juice which I really like. But dangerous as it didn't taste alcoholic so you could end up drinking loads as if it were water. People were mingling and chatting with one another, it became such a warm and lively house on this gloomy looking Saturday :)


I took these shots just when the party started. Later it got so crazy and busy that I didn't have time to take pictures.

Awww, my ex flatmate Marketa came with her bf, and Evelyn who lives round the corner popped by as well

Nearing the end when most people have left. I was almost in a daze... but wait, it was Guy Fawkes night. ie Fireworks night all over London. How can I miss that?!


So to end off this long day, it coincided with Guy Fawkes night so together we went to Millwall Park to catch the fireworks, followed by dinner with Marketa and her bf. Totally exhausting day but totally worth it.








My favourite fireworks shot


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f