Skip to main content

Goodbye City, Hello Wharf

When I first arrived in London, my colleagues would make mention that we work in the city.  To which I would think "Of course we work in the city.. London is a city, everyone here works in the city.  What are you talking about?  Chey."  Later I realised that they meant the City of London, which pretty much was the original boundary of London many years ago.  London then was small, tiny even compared to today.  Later on whenever people ask where I work, I would almost beaming, say "Oh I work in the city" trying to sound cool because I thought it is cool "to work in the city".  (And I still do btw.)

But alas, unfortunately, we are moving to Canary Wharf at the end of this month!  Canary Wharf is the new financial hub of London.  Where all the big investment banks, big rating agencies, Bloomberg, Reuters, and many other big financial institutions are located.  It is like Raffles Place.  So basically, we are moving from the old historic and charming City, to the concrete jungle.  Don't like.  Ironically I live in the Isle of Dogs which is pretty much where Canary Wharf is located so I should be the last to complain as I can pretty much walk to work!  Many of my colleagues living on the posh west side of London are dreading this move big time and I usually keep quiet and listen to them whine until one of them would ask me "In terms of travelling, are you affected Belinda?  Where do you live?"  And I would sheepishly reply.. "err, I live in the Isle of Dogs.."  And they look like they wanna kill me.. haha ok I am over-exaggerating here.

So we have taken over the old Lehman Brothers' building which some people comment is a bad omen but whatever.. no matter how much whining, we ARE moving.  This is apparently the biggest office move in London ever.. because it involves moving more than 8,000 people.  Can you imagine Raffles Place increasingly by 8,000 people all of a sudden?  I shudder to think of the lunch crowd.  omg.  And we are the lucky ones to be the first ones to move. 

Going back to Singapore means that this is my last week working in the city (boohoo) and I made sure I remembered to bring in my camera to take some shots of memorable places around work which I will fondly remember, etched in a special place in my memories.

For a start, my office is situated at Love Lane.  How cute is that?!

London Guildhall next to my office.  It was a lovely Friday afternoon with clear blue skies.
The Old Jewry Church next to the Guildhall where they hold regular lunchtime services.

Oh why have I not thought of attending one service in my 3 years here?

A description of this church

Oh this I HAVE to share.  This is a super popular Vietnamese Cafe that I go very often.  Queues start snaking out of the cafe from 12pm and people WILL queue up in the cold, trust me.  Because I'm one of them.

Working in the city, you notice that there are many churches.  This is my usual path to work from Bank Station.  And the huge clock will always tell me if I am late for work!

Tesco Metro at Bank Station. haha taking pic of Tesco.  This my friend, is where I get food on the way home to cook my dinners!

The same church as above, St Mary Le Bow.  The church bell still chimes at every hour.  It is said that a true Londoner must be born within earshot of the Bow bells ringing.


Bow Churchyard.  If you look on the right, behind the statue, it's the pub which I had my farewell drinks with my old team.  Usually there is a florist selling flowers (he's on holiday still!) on the left.  K gets a stalk of rose for me from this guy often enough for the florist to remember him as the One-Rose-Guy.  It's quite funny I thought I'd share with you :)

Boris Bikes, launched by the mayor of London Boris Johnson who wanted to encourage more Londoners to cycle.  Many cycle to work using these blue bikes.

Love Daunt Books at Marylebone.  This is one of their branches which K loves.  We always meet here whenever we go back together after work.

Another interesting name lane. I hope it's sweet.
The names of the streets that lead off it reflect the trades that flourished there – Wood Street, Milk Street, Bread Street, Honey Lane, Poultry and Friday Street (for fish).

Ah shops.  Where I get my shopping fix once in a while during lunch hours.  River Island, Ted Baker... SALE still on!

And of course, the spanking new One New Change shopping centre which opened last year.  A huge H&M in the corner :)

Would have loved to take more photos but people were starting to stare at this girl taking photos of things that look so normal.  I guess that is us isn't it.. taking things for granted until we don't have them anymore.. oh well, if I do manage to take more, I will post more.  Lovely 3 years' worth of memories.. sweet memories :))

Comments

Kiann said…
you bluff.... most of the time I have to pick you up at River Island or H&M, rather than Daunt Books.... kakaka

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?