Skip to main content

Totem | Cirque du Soleil

Ah Valentine's Day.  I have to clarify that I am not crazy over V-day but since I haven't celebrated this for a long time, I guess I am well entitled to write a little post of my V-day with K right? hehe

Actually it's not that we planned to celebrate it big time but I suggested watching Totem by Cirque du Soleil as I think it's one of those you watch once in a lifetime plus it might most probably be more expensive to do so in Singapore.  I mean they have to travel a long way from Canada!  (I still remember us booking the tickets just before we went to Stuttgart for Christmas. And at that time February seemed an awful long time away.)

We booked our tickets for last Saturday's matinee show, 3 days before V-day.  Followed by dinner in a really nice restaurant nearby in High Street Kensington- Babylon at Rooftop Gardens, recommended by Marketa.
http://www.roofgardens.virgin.com/en/the_roof_gardens/babylon



Like everyone, we were very impressed with the acts. We had good seats too, so we could see clearly the performances.  And being a circus, which is usually made up of random acts, they were good in having somewhat of a storyline to the whole show.  Ela went last month with her boyfriend and she highly recommends it so that was a good start I think!  As we were sitting near the stage, I got a bit worried when the performers did gravity defying stunts high above us, some with poles stacked on top of each other and what have you.. I kept thinking "what if they fall.. and land on us or something?!" Silly me because obviously they didn't because they are Cirque du Soleil.

Excitable us before the show
And so it was.  A simple but amazing day consisting of a circus show, dinner, and ending it off by checking out Babylon's rooftop gardens following strong recommendation by our waiter. For starters, I had a crab & avocado salad and K had some deep fried fish cheeks with cucumber and lemon.  For mains, K ordered a steak (as always, he is a massive steak fan) whereas I had their halibut with chorizo which I thought was quite an interesting combi.  By the time it came to desserts, I couldn't eat anymore so we decided to share their 3 layered chocolate cake.

We didn't take many photos at Babylon.  Before dinner we had a round of cocktails and nuts in their posh bar.
And I felt like I was already half full!  Above was the choc dessert we shared. 

Their rooftop gardens would definitely be a very nice place to check out during summer coz it's a proper gardens with ponds and plants, and there is outdoor seating.  But it being winter, the ponds were frozen, parts were still covered with snow.  We explored the live band performance in the heated marquee..hmm to me it was just noisy, had no idea what they were singing.  Groups of people were lounging by the stage, seemingly enjoying the music whilst others stood around holding a drink in their hands talking to their friends.  I mean, more like shouting to their friends trying to override the band on stage.  Hmm not my type of place.. so we moved on.  We checked out their club.  Hmm.. not bad K seemed ready to dance haha but we thought there were pretentious looking people around us- I might be wrong but this is posh side of London after all.  The entrance fee to the rooftop gardens is GBP25 per person - not something I would pay for, no. Man, you would think it's free for us since we dined there, but we still had to pay GBP10 per person for entrance to the rooftop gardens.  But Babylon was enjoyable.  The food though expensive, was well worth it and K was very impressed (almost wanted to go to the kitchen to congratulate the chef).

I took some daily random shots, like I always do.. and here are my top two for the day :)

We took the District line and alighted at South Ken station for a  15min walk to the Royal Albert Hall.

And walked past the Natural History Museum along the way on this cold wintry Saturday afternoon.

Obviously we burnt a hole in our pockets that day so we plan to cook dinner at home everyday for the rest of the month haha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f