Skip to main content

Colour My World | Flourish Baby Flourish


Before I have time to blog about Peak District, I was off for 2.5 days for the annual Hillsong Colour Conference at Wembley Arena.  In essence, it is all about Christian Girl Power haha.. it's power packed with both sermons as well as different humanitarian projects around the world, hoping to make the world a better place.

The opening number

As cliche as it may sound "Change the world" and you have to know I came from a somewhat cynical mentality.  But now I know what it means.  You start by changing the world one life at a time.  And it doesn't have to be a big massive overwhelming task.  You change your own world.  Where you are planted.  That changes the whole perspective altogether.  You stay faithful in where you are planted and in Bobbie Houston's words, you flourish in your world doing life the best you can.  Flourish is the word for this year.

We have the amazing Priscilla Shirer again this year, and Sheila Walsh, together with the Hillsong Sisterhood team.  Personally I needed a rhema word from God, and just spending time with my friends away from work was... refreshing.

Priscilla Shirer

 



With the Hillsong Sisterhood movement over the years, it has gained a lot of momentum and collectively, there are many projects which are of worthy causes.
  • A Christian couple partner with Hillsong Church by building orphanages in Northern Uganda which has been plagued with civil war and many women have lost their dignities.  You can't help but feel overwhelmed by the pictures you are shown.  
  • In Mumbai, the Sisterhood has raised enough money in the past year to buy a yellow schoolbus for Biju Thampy and his team (who again partners Hillsong Church) to drive within Mumbai bringing food to the poor children who live in the slums and on the streets.  Personally my friend Kathy has volunteered a week out there witnessing firsthand.  Besides bringing food, some of Biju's school buses are also classrooms on the go, providing basic education to these children.  
  • And then there is the A21 Campaign which is focusing on Abolishing sex slavary in the 21st Century.  Christine Caine who started this campaign 3 years ago, is very much an advocate for this cause with an even stronger passion today.  It is based in Thessaloniki, Greece and the number of girls they have rescued are slowly increasing.  Slowly but surely!

In one of the videos which we were shown of the children who were born in poverty, what struck a chord in me was when the commentator said these kids are just like you and I.  It's just that we are lucky to be born where we are.  They could not choose where they want to be born.  If only they had a choice... we ARE really lucky.
Before the mood goes all sombre, here are some pictures to share.  Again, all girly, all sweet... and what to say.  The level of production and efforts gone into it were done with such a spirit of excellence, I don't think any other church could come closer to what the creative brains this church has.

Host of Colour - Bobbie Houston

A random performance.  Clearly vintage is the way to go.

Throughout the conference, we were served by the men in church again.  They greeted us straight out of the tube station and volunteered to carry my little luggage up and down the stairs.  When it was raining, they stood in a long line with umbrellas to make a covered pathway for us.  We felt the love I tell you.  God bless these men!

And I will mention it again.  The coolest worship leader ever - Peter Wilson.  What more could I ask for??
 
We love Colour!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f