Skip to main content

Happy 4th Year in London!!

Four years ago this exact day 22 Apr 2008, I ventured into the unknown halfway across the globe.  Looking back, I cannot but say how much Bel has grown (Can I use the words "quantum leap" here?  It's the unforgettable phrase our FYP tutor said of our final year project in uni after many fruitless meetings with him. haha).  I mean, cooking paella - I had no clue was it was four years ago!

I am ever so thankful for the many friends I've met here, people from all across the globe.  People whom I've never thought of forging such close friendships with.  And of course friends back in Singapore who still faithfully keep in touch with me.  I woke up feeling real blessed today with a smile on my face.

After the soap making class on the same day, I arranged for a special lunch with my closest group of friends here, at St Katharine's Docks right at the foot of Tower Bridge (my favourite bridge ever).  I told them it's to celebrate my fourth year in London, but more so for all of us to celebrate our years in London.  And with this theme in mind, I asked everyone to dress up in the colours of blue, red and white a la the Union Jack.  Guess what happened?  Four out of six of us turned up in blue-white striped tops!  It was hilarious.  What can I say, we are that co-ordinated. ;)

I think it's time we add some red colour to the wardrobe

I suggested for all of us to share our London stories over lunch: how we decided to come to London and how we all met.  It resulted in so many funny stories and loud (really loud) laughter all round.  I think the other patrons in the restaurant must have hated us that afternoon.

Marketa, Evelyn and Sarah came over to London in 2005, and Gabby, Kine and me came in 2008.  Funnily enough, JPM brought Marketa, Evelyn and me to London!  They were hired as interns in 2005 and left subsequently, both doing really well now actually.  Sarah, Gabby and Kine came over as students and stayed on to work.  Now Gabby is married to an Englishman and so going home is kinda out of the question for now.  Marketa being the very eager person to share her stories started her story with "When I was born,..." and everyone attempted to stop here because we were talking about London, not when she was born!  And it was hilarious.  She insisted to continue with her statement "When I was born, I was born into Communism.  I couldn't travel anywhere except to Communist countries.  I knew of this place called America and I dreamt of going there someday..." To which we stopped her saying it's London, not America, Marketa!!  Of course she insisted on continuing her story, and eventually on her move to London.  hahaha by that time we were all in stitches.

Despite us urging her to shorten her story, it is interesting isn't it?  I have never thought of how life would be like under Communism and here I have two close friends who were sharing about their childhood and how they dreamt when kids to eventually leave their country to study and work "preferably America."  Of course they couldn't control their fate and so America became London ;)
Who knows where they would go next?!

London is an interesting place.  It's never a place for "stayers".  In these 4 years, I have seen many people come and go and seldom people make London their permanent home.  We are very much aware we all wouldn't be here eventually, and though it's a sad thought, I always tell myself it is a good problem to have.  You wouldn't want it the other way.  And we promise that after leaving London for our next stage in life, we all have to make a commitment to continue meeting up either yearly or bi-annually.. whatever the frequency, wherever in the world... but until then, we will all continue enjoying what we have now.

British all the way - Beer battered fish n chips for me

Introducing the group in case you haven't already known:

Gabby from Ecuador and Sarah from Scotland

Kine from Norway and Marketa (the keen storyteller!) from the Czech Republic
Evelyn from the Czech Republic and finally, Bel from Singapore :)

And a group shot.  Cheers to our friendship!

Lastly an interesting shot which kept me on Tower Bridge for a few minutes:

Tower Bridge lifted up in the middle to allow a huge boat to pass thru and it was the red light so all pedestrians and cars had to stop and wait.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f