Skip to main content

Home cooked steak dinner

Sunday afternoon K & me went for a grocery shopping session.  We were at a loss on what to cook for dinner.  We were walking up and down the meat aisle...

Talking about grocery shopping for meat, I digress.  In case you haven't read, there is a meat scandal here in Europe where quite a few meat products have tested positive for horse DNA.  I use the word DNA because TC mentioned that it could be any part of a horse.  Yikes - thanks for pointing it out.  So the packet of minced beef or beef burger patties which you just bought from the supermarkets here?  Yup it could be tainted with horse meat.  Technically speaking there is nothing wrong with eating horse meat, not unless it has bute in it (some medicine which is used to treat horses which is very bad for humans).  Other than that, people do eat horse meat yes.  In fact my dear Askar friend from Uzbekistan loves them.  It is somewhat a delicacy in some parts of France, and in Japan too.  But if you remember, K and I have also been taking horse riding lessons and so eating Poppy's friend is not very nice.  I can't get over eating the meat of the animal which I have been riding on, no thanks.  

According to some newspaper article, this meat scandal has altered the way consumers buy meat.  And that survey must have included K because when I picked up a packet of minced pork, he put it back immediately saying "let's try not to buy any minced stuff for now..."  (Oh did I mention that some halal products here have also been found to contain traces of pork...) we guess the safest option now is to buy meat as they are.  No minced meat for now.  Meaning no spaghetti bolognese nor meatballs.  Obviously we think that the chicken leg we see is chicken unless it's genetically modified to look like a chicken leg if you get what I mean.

K loves steak and so we decided to cook steak (for the first time) for dinner that night.  Rumours has it that when he was a swinging single bachelor, one of his favourite things to do on a Friday night is to get a piece of good steak from the supermarket, head home, cook it and watch one of his favourite DVDs to unwind after a long week at work.  He must be really good at it and so I arrowed him to cook.  When I came out from the shower, wow I was pleasantly surprised.  He was done cooking and even set the table with candles and some red wine.

He was immensely pleased with his work that when I mentioned "ooh take pictures so I have something to blog about this week!", he coolly replied... "check your iPhone photos.." for the first time he approves taking pictures of food.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f