Skip to main content

Has it been 5 years??

Wow - where has the time gone?  5 amazing years in London and loving every minute of it.  Trust me, there are still days when I wake up and I have this warm fuzzy feeling on the inside of me - the realisation of living and working in this cosmopolitan city, a privilege I don't take for granted, and I thank God for this wonderful opportunity.

And it's also that feeling knowing that I would not be here forever that makes me cherish each day and each season when it comes.  I would tell myself it might be my last summer here in London - I guess it's what they say, to live each day as if it is your last - yup so make the best of it Bel! :)

Last year I organised a "Happy 4 years" brunch with my girl friends, asking everyone to wear either red, blue or white.  Turns out, almost all of us turned up wearing navy blue and white striped tops, it was hilarious.  This year is slightly different.  I spent my 5th anniversary finalizing my wedding details out in the English countryside with K and our close friends the Geesons.  Whoever knew!

In case you haven't heard, we will be having a small and intimate wedding ceremony here this summer in June, followed by a proper wedding dinner back home in September.  I am so excited about the one here because we are capping it at 40 people and so it is easier to manage, and whilst it would be mostly an English wedding, K's best man is thinking of doing our traditional yum-seng! haha it was a joke but actually I think we should introduce some Singaporean flavour to our wedding here - what do you think??  We just started taking lessons for our first dance (yes we are that serious) so it is all very exciting and fun :)

We chose our venue beginning of this year, and thanks to the power of Google, we found this beautiful manor house (now hotel) in Hertfordshire outside London.

No this isn't the venue!!  Just a nice cottage we walked past hehe
We took a direct train from Euston train station and reached Tring in 40min on Sunday afternoon.  Due to the London marathon we could not drive, but hey train ride isn't too bad.  Less the stress of being stuck in traffic.  From the station, it's a nice 10-15min walk to the venue, and along the way we saw green fields with sheep grazing.  Love the setting already lah.


Yes this is the venue!


Gabby & Ben

It was only after we chose this venue that we realised the symbol for the hotel is two peacocks because they have about 6 roaming on their grounds.  How special.


Be careful

We spotted the first up there above us.  Which prompted my question "Peacocks can fly??"

Inside the Oak room where we would be holding our dinner

Love the wallpaper and colour scheme of the Oak Room

I was told that you would be really lucky to see a peacock in its full display and I think it was indeed our lucky day.

We were discussing with the wedding co-ordinator our wedding details when suddenly out of the corner of my eye I saw the white peacock opening up its feathers and obviously that being more important than our wedding discussions, Ben and I ran out to take some photos.  Tsk tsk.

You can't blame me because I have not seen such a wonderful sight.  The male peacock was proudly showcasing his beautiful feathers and the female was all aloof and oblivious, at one stage even went near him to peck his feathers!  He was busy chasing after her which made us giggle.  Ben commented "oh how typical, even for humans!"



He even tried doing this 180deg turn to impress her.  She was not at all bothered! lol

After 10min or so, he was tired and the feathers slowly came down

I was too fascinated that I took so many photos of them and here is leaving you with one artistic shot of Mr Peacock.


I have quite a few ideas of what I would like to do or have at our English wedding, one of which is to light a huge sky lantern so everyone can write their wishes and let it float high into the night sky.  Aww how romantic isn't it?  *dreamily sigh* oh oh and of course, I am hoping the peacocks on the grounds would proudly display their beautiful feathers on our wedding day.  For us.  That would be extra special ;)


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f