Skip to main content

Rennes, the capital of Brittany

Did I already mention this was supposed to be a relaxed trip?  I call it the "pre wedding-moon".  Since nowadays there is honeymoon and "babymoon", why not have a "pre wedding-moon"?  It works, no?

On the second day, we woke up at 9am and had our french breakfast slowly... followed by more snoozing after breakfast.  We suspect Tomoko must be thinking "oh my, what a lazy couple..."

Woke up to a layer of ice on our car which we needed to scrap off

Finally at 1130am we set off for Rennes, the capital of Brittany.  It's about an hour's drive away and we we reached an hour later, ready for some lunch.  We stopped by a creperie and had a savoury crepe each before starting our own walking tour.  Tour guide?  Mr K himself hehe- my personal driver and personal tour guide even though the man hasn't been to Rennes himself.  Lucky Bel I know ;)

It was freezing btw... we couldn't believe it was only 3deg and we ended up walking around rather haphazardly.  We would stop whenever I spotted a quaint french shop - for me to browse and for us to thaw a bit before continuing our walk.  After 2h, we decided to stop for a cup of hot drink... and felt so tired already.  Something I couldn't even explain why.  We snoozed before setting off at 1130am and we were feeling tired at 4pm?!

What I call a quaint french shop.  Everything is "c'est jolie!"

Start of his candy crushing while waiting for lunch

Studying the walking tour of Rennes.  Outside the tourism office.

Complet Galette at a creperie for lunch.
The traditional food in this region is wheat crepe with either sweet or savoury fillings.

Little french girl

Nice building

Some building in the old town of Rennes

And we chanced upon two interesting shops in the shopping street...

Gucci's sister?

Zara's brother??

Outside the city hall

We ventured into the public gardens and saw an aviary with lots of colourful birds.

In particular, a pair of love birds kissing!

In the Francais Jardin, aka French Garden

Skipping

Too cold for K, he wore my scarf and hat!
Looks like a french boy, mon francais garçon 

The setting sun on our drive back to Pontorson

Cherry blossom tree in Rennes

At 6pm we decided to head back and we were so looking forward to our specially ordered meal - a Japanese dinner!  As I mentioned, Tomoko is such a hostess with the mostest that when she heard us expressing interest in Japanese food, she agreed to make some for us charging us EUR10 each.  Oh why not, I was already craving for some Asian food :)

She prepared ramen, together with homemade chicken katsu and potato/pork croquette, miso soup and some onigiri (rice with seaweed).  Oiishi-ne!  We stuffed ourselves with what was in front of us and were so satisfied.  A great meal to end the day.  What bliss...

Our specially ordered Jap dinner, courtesy of Tomoko-san

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f