Skip to main content

I.AM.SISTERHOOD


Two weekends ago was the annual Hillsong Colour Conference at Wembley Arena.  I was so looking forward to it because it was just much needed.  I needed a break from the 2 "W"s in my life: Work + Wedding.  Because it's a trek to Wembley from where I live, us girls booked a hotel room so we cut down on travel time.  It is such a good decision and it felt like a little holiday.  Some selah time out with the girl friends.

Welcome to Colour 2013!

Theme for this year's conference

As usual, I hanged out with my Colour buddy Gabby and we shared a room.  This was like church camp but with a seriously cool factor.  We girls were pampered once again thanks to the boys at church who volunteered.  They brought our little suitcases up and down the stairs to the cloakroom.  They were the ushers, the cleaners, the photographers, whatever help that was needed, there would always be a volunteer round the corner.  What a great blessing they were.

Volunteers



During break times, the space outside the arena had been transformed to areas where girls could hang out have lunch, take photos etc.  There was again the Pamper Zone where girls volunteer to do hand massages and paint nails.  Everything girly you can imagine, yup it's there.

A packed Wembley Arena

Of course, Word wise, we had guest speakers including the Hillsong team, Wendy Treat and Dr Caroline Leaf (who taught extensively about our mind, and how science is catching up with God's Word).  All very mind boggling (brian stuff) but a refreshing view to know that we are not victims of our mind - we have a choice to choose how to react to every situation in life.  And by focussing on godly thoughts in our minds, we build healthy "trees" (tree-like structures when viewed under the microscope) which are good for us scientifically.

When I grow up I wanna look like Bobbi Houston.
Seriously at 56 who can deny God's promises of renewing our youth like the eagles?!

Dr Caroline Leaf

Wendy Treat

All the fanfare aside, what spoke to me was Bobbi's message on the first night: the Simplicity of God's Word.  Just back to the basics like how we learnt in Sunday school years ago: Jesus loves you and you are a walking blessing on a life journey.  A journey that has ups and downs and whatever may happen, let us hold fast, look forward because we know Zion is waiting for us at the end of this journey.  There was another session interviewing women leaders in the church and just listening to them on how they see their role supporting their husbands while they preach God's Word was certainly practical... to which Gabby gently reminded me that this would be my last time attending Colour as a swinging single!

The panel discussing real practical issues focussing on women leaders in church



This is some serious girl power stuff!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f