Skip to main content

Let's take a break from wedding talk

Okay let's take a break from weddings.  Have to warn you that the next post will be back to wedding - I hear you stifle a yawn - but it would be worth it.  As I found out - the painful way.

Let's talk about what the Brits love to talk about - the weather.  There is a heatwave going on for the past 2 weeks now.  Imagine temperatures soaring to 30deg and for the first time in years I actually feel confident to leave the house with no jacket or cardigan or scarf.  It feels like Singapore.  The sun shines brightly every day making work very difficult because all of us just want to be outside enjoying the sunshine (although I would choose the shade) with a frappuccino in hand.  There are news reports on the weather everyday because this is not normal.  In fact this is the warmest stretch it has been in 7 years.  I love it how they report this heatwave - almost life threatening.  An article on the BBC gave a top 10 reasons on why Britian is not meant to handle any heatwave; and gave tips on how to combat the heatwave.  I can only imagine travelling in the tube feeling all hot sticky and smelly isn't very nice.

Today, the top news isn't about how hot is it, even though it is the warmest day of the year at 32deg.  Rather it is the day which the Duchess of Cambridge has given birth and it was just announced 10min ago by Kensington Palace that she has given birth to a healthy baby BOY!  Finally the suspense and wait is over and everyone camping outside the hospital in Paddington can heave a huge sigh of relief in the intense heat.  Reporters from all over the world have been camping outside the hospital for the last 2 weeks, all in eager anticipation.  This morning when it was announced that Kate Middleton was driven to the hospital at 6am, the news channel on the TV near me at work has been showing non-stop coverage of Kate and Will, and babies.  People around me were speculating if it is a boy or a girl, and what would be the likely name.  For now, he would be referred to as Baby Cambridge.  I guess we all just want to find some distraction from work...

Just read an interesting article on the BBC today about the surnames of the royal family.  We all call them Prince William and Prince Harry, but does anyone know what is their surname?

10 Curious Things About the Royal Birth... 
#5  A surname will not necessarily be required, as the new baby will have the title HRH Prince or Princess and will be referred to in this way. However, if Catherine and William want to include a surname, there are three choices available - Mountbatten-Windsor, Wales or Cambridge. In 1917 George V adopted Windsor - after the castle of the same name - as the "surname" of his family, changing it from Saxe-Coburg and Gotha as a result of anti-German feeling during World War I. The Queen and Prince Phillip combined their surnames to make Mountbatten-Windsor - their direct descendants can use this name but it isn't binding. In his military role, William uses the name of his royal house - Wales - which is taken from his father. Similarly Cambridge, the title given to the couple when they married, could be used.

No prizes for guessing what would be the non stop coverage on the news channel when I step in to work tomorrow.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f