Skip to main content

The rise of the selfie

selfie: a photograph that one has taken of oneself, typically one taken with a smartphone or webcam and uploaded to a social media website.




I'm not sure about you but I only heard about this word "selfie" a few months ago, surprisingly at Colour Conference.  As part of this whole girly Hillsong event, Bobbie Houston and team arranged for this huge wall full of flowers and she joked saying "Now you may all go and take a selfie and upload it on Facebook, Instagram..." And I seriously thought she invented that word because I haven't heard it from anywhere else.

And then this week I read that this word has officially made it to the Oxford dictionary as part of their quarterly online update (not originating from Bobbie Houston, no).  This phenomenon is definitely on the rise and let's admit it - you and I have all done a selfie at some point in time. hehe.

Yesterday at the Heathrow lounge, I grabbed a copy of Stylist magazine (a free UK women's magazine which I try to read whenever I can) and - surprise, surprise - it has an article on the selfies.  They interviewed a few ladies on why they upload so many selfies, which is pretty interesting.

This is truly the age of the social media explosion and to some, not having a Facebook account might mean you are akin to a caveman in today's context.  I mean, even my dad now has a Facebook account and is actively liking my photos every now and then.  (I guess it's a great tool for him to know what I am up to over the other side of the world.)  And on top of that you have twitter, Instagram... technology has certainly taken over our lives and I think it's unhealthy that when K and I wake up, the first thing is not even to say good morning to each other first or have a cuddle; but instead we reach out for our phones.  I always complain to him saying he loves his iPad more than me! *roar* It is really a bad habit which we are working on improving it.  I read another separate article, also from Stylist, where they interviewed the lady who started Huffington Post.  She believes in having a technology-free bedroom.  She said many of her friends come up with excuses about needing the alarm function and hence cannot leave their phone anywhere else other than their bedside table, but she thinks that is a weak excuse.  She then started buying proper alarm clocks for them to prove her point!  I suggested to K doing that too and his first reaction was the same: No we need the alarm clock! Maybe I should seriously buy a real alarm clock too and work towards a technology-free bedroom.

Anyways, back to my topic.  Here is the link to the interesting article:

http://www.stylist.co.uk/people/the-psychology-of-selfies


Just thought I'd share this interesting fact today.  (Wait, or am I one of the last to knowwhat a selfie is??)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f