Skip to main content

Come Dine with the Ong's


We did it!!  Can I say it is a big relief now as I sat here typing away on my MacBook.  Yesterday I was very excited about today, and especially lugging all the ingredients I need for today.  Loads of food and  they were heavy as you can imagine.  Luckily K came to my workplace and joined my colleagues and I for drinks at the pub before we carried all the stuff back home.

Bright and early, this morning we both woke up at 7am.  This has been an annoying phenomena between us - on weekdays we struggle to wake up at 7am and on weekends, we wake up automatically.  Maybe it's made worse by the lack of curtains in our room, but this morning we had the local handyman Andrew come over to install the curtains for us and already I feel the difference it has made to our room.  Hopefully more weekend sleep in time from now on.

I got out of bed at about 8am after tossing for about an hour, feeling all anxious and excited.  After all I am gonna whip up a 3 course meal for 8 people - no easy feat!  We fussed about in the house, K went to run an errand and I started preparing at about 1030am.  I have chatted about our menu with Pris before and sought her suggestions.  Love it when you can do stuff like that with a friend all the way in Germany!

Here goes… our menu!




It was a super busy morning and I even had to FaceTime my family back home cos I have not boiled sago pearls before which was quite funny.  That was rather tricky and was so glad that was done.

I thought I'd be taking photos documenting the whole process but as time ticked and approached 1.30pm I was getting stressed up with no time for any photos.  Boy it is not easy cooking a 3 course meal for 8 people!  The guests all arrived two by two and we did a mini tour of the house before me running back to the stove.  Finally all were seated and I served the first course to rave reviews.  Yay!

Followed by the main course which Ben kindly took a photo for me hehe:



My pride and joy for the day was actually in the dessert: mango sago pomelo because it is one of my fav Chinese desserts.  I boiled sago for the first time, and bought a whole big honey pomelo for the first time too.  It turned out so yummy and everyone loved it.  I tried explaining this is one popular dessert back home and that we actually served that at our wedding dinner last September.  To translate it more local for our friends, I said it's like mango smoothie with pearls, pomelo and fresh mango.  Funnily none of them have seen a pomelo before and they were truly intrigued.  I peeled the rest out for them and we all finished the rest of the pomelo whilst chatting.  They loved pomelo!



I will definitely make this again. :)

I had referred to:
http://www.noobcook.com/mango-sago-pomelo/

Ingredients
(Serves 4)
- 400ml mango juice (freshly squeezed using fruit juice extractor or ready made; I use Marigold PeelFresh)
- 150ml evaporated milk
- 2 large ripe honey mangoes, cubed (see photo below)
- sugar syrup by mixing 2 tbsp caster sugar with just enough hot water to dissolve
- 80g sago pearls
- Pomelo (I use the Ipoh Tambun variety), peeled and sacs separated, about 50g or more
Directions
1) Boil a pot of water to boil. Add sago and simmer for about 10 minutes. Turn off the stove, cover the pot with lid and let the sago continue to cook on its own for about 10 minutes, until all the sago turns translucent. Run the cooked sago through a fine sieve and running water to remove excess starch. Set aside. 

2) Reserve one quarter of the cubed mangoes for garnishing (step 4). In a blender, blend the rest of the mangoes and the evaporated milk for a short while till well mixed.

3) Mix mango smoothie prepared in step 2 with mango juice. Add sugar syrup to taste. Add cooked pearl sago prepared in step 1 to the mixture. Chill in fridge.

4) To serve, portion out to individual serving bowls and garnish with pomelo sacs and cubed mangoes.



Happy folks

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f