Skip to main content

Happy Valentines Day!

Happy Valentine's Day to everyone!  Much love from us in London!

Time is 10.50pm and I am again huddling near the fireplace in our new house.  We had another night in this Valentine's Day.  Two years ago I cooked for K at my English Cottage, and last year K went home to Singapore whilst I spent Valentine's Day alone.  This year K volunteered to cook a nice dinner for us.


No prizes for guessing it right if you had read my blog enough.  K's favourite thing to cook is beef steak and tonight was no exception hehe.  This morning when I went into office, I said good morning to Virginia who sits next to me.  Virginia is a British girl a few years older than me, and since sitting next to each other we have had a few moans (ok maybe more than a few) and a few laughs.  She has been with "her partner" Matt for 16 years and counting which is amazing.  It's interesting how I have met a few girls here who have been with their partners (no longer calling boyfriends) for many years and they don't see a need to get married.  They are okay to have kids and a family but not marriage.  Anyways, so I asked Virginia what are they planning to do tonight.  She said "nothing, just a night in." And I said eagerly "Us too!"  And then she added "oh M&S is doing the Meal deal for GBP20 if you are interested.  I just went there this morning!"  After a few questions on what does this meal deal consist of, it didn't take much for me to be convinced and so I grabbed my wallet and went to the nearest M&S in the mall.

This is such a great deal and forgive me for sounding like an auntie.

For GBP20, I got:
starters : scallops in lemon herb butter
mains: rump steak in peppercorn sauce
side: potato rosti
dessert: lemon citron tart
and not only that, a box of chocolates AND a bottle of wine!!


I was so happy that I managed to get the last box of scallops *whoopee*.. yes completely sounding like a housewife.

My chef <3 td="">

Scallops for starter

You know it's cooked by a Singaporean when you have a big glob of chilli sauce to go along with the steak

My almost-finished lemon tart

I even had a small present! 

I love it when I get caught in one of those instances where strangers start talking on the train.  There was a guy who was holding two small bouquets of red roses in his hands.  Some random guy (Mr Friendly) standing near him asked in his loud-enough voice about his bouquet of roses who apparently looked "quite sorry for themselves".  The guy replied saying he literally got the last two from Waitrose and laughed sheepishly saying that was how prepared he is for Valentine's Day and hoped his wife didn't mind.  Mr Friendly laughed saying "oh you should tell her you bought them stalk by stalk and she would love you for the effort.  Put them together in a nice vase when she is not around and she would be very happy!"  Then this lady suddenly appeared from nowhere, chimed in saying "you know how you can make the roses last longer?  Nope not sugar water but some bleach in the water would do the trick.  Only for roses, yep."  To which Mr Friendly raised his voice even louder "bleach?!"  By this time people around couldn't help but listen and smile and more small talk happened amongst them strangers mainly surrounding bleach.  It was amusing to say the least.  They all got off at the same stop and before saying goodbye, they all wished Mr Roses good luck and "if all else fails, MORE WINE would do the trick!"  It was nice to see everyone around me smiling looking at them leave the train.

Weather update: if you have seen the news, you would have known that there is severe flooding in the country at the moment as we are battered by winds, storm and snow in various parts.  London is still okay, thank God, but really pray that it would get better and the waters subside soon.  Even as I am typing now, I can hear the howling winds outside and the beating of the rain on the pavement.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f