Skip to main content

I love SG! | Singapore Day 2014


Today was my first time at Singapore Day here in London.  This event happens once every 2 years and takes place in a major city around the world.  The last time it was here at Hampton Court Palace but I missed it as I remember Cynthia and I were in Amsterdam that very same weekend.  This is organised by the Overseas Singaporean Unit in collaboration with some government units and private companies.  At one of the events last year, they did a poll amongst us, asking what local food do we want for SG day in 2014.

Fast forward and today was the day!  With much hype no less.  Thankfully the weather was beautiful.  Let me show you what I mean.

I love how this tree is saying "It's Spring, it's Spring!"


We contemplated driving to Victoria Park but knowing how big the event is, it might probably be difficult to find parking spots.  But then again it's not a convenient place for us to get to, and JX called us telling us where we can park.  We arrived to a huge crowd, and knowingly for Singaporeans… everyone was busy queueing up for the free food already.


By this time, Phua Chu Kang, Michelle Chong (as Babarella) and Chua En Lai from the Noose was on stage entertaining the crowd who were sitting on the grass having their own picnics.

Let the queueing begin!

There was - let me refer to my list - Mee Pok Tah, Carrot Cake, Soto Ayam, Chicken Rice… aiya look at the menu below and you will know.



There were two main sections for food, namely Hawker and Kopitiam.

So we decided to split up to queue for different food.  K went for char kway teow with JX, whereas I went for fried carrot cake.  Despite having it just 2 weeks ago, I didn't know why I chose this queue to waste more than an hour of my time.  The longer I queued, the more I got annoyed because the queue wasn't quite moving.  And I was getting hungry wondering, wondering.  Wondering how long more.  And the weird thing was that I was surrounded by a lot of students who were happily queueing up and chatting happily.  While I had that grumpy look.  After more than an hour, K called me saying that finally they got their char kway teow.  He was shocked to see that the snaking queue I was in still had 3 loops before it was my turn.  Seriously yes.  I shouted over to him saying I'm done, I don't think it is worth it at all.  He agreed and said we shouldn't queue up anymore.


One hour later, RX managed to get a piece of chilli stingray and kindly shared with us

We bumped into some Singaporean friends on the way to the stage area and suddenly Phua Chu Kang announced that Prime Minister Lee has arrived with his wife, Deputy PM Teo Chee Hean and a few others in their entourage.  The crowd went crazy and started clapping and cheering.  Suddenly that Singapore pride rose within us and for some unknown reason K and I rushed to the front of the stage and started waving frantically to our PM Lee. haha it was funny I tell you.  This is the day of selfies.  PM Lee himself took a photo of the crowd on stage, and proceeded to do a selfie with the crowd in the background and again everyone was waving and jumping.  It's almost feeling like "hey we Singaporeans here are not forgotten even though we are not in Singapore!"

A short welcome speech

Before he proceeded to take a picture of the crowd

And a selfie with us in the background

He made a short speech before flanked by bodyguards down the stage and into the crowd.  Where he was mobbed by people all wanting to take pics and selfies with him.  This pic below - probably the closest I will take of our PM Lee.  This guy's still got it, judging by the warm reception he received.


See what I mean?  And yes I was one of them pushing in the crowd before giving up!

RX commented that it is bizarre because you don't see people doing that to David Cameron here.  Unless you are a royal of course that is a different story.

We saw DPM Teo and shook hands with him.  Well what do you say to people like them?
Umm I did my "Welcome to London, sir!" lol  (Maybe I should have started talking about the weather…)

With Mrs Lee

We were all given picnic mats in the goodie bag

with my Yeo's packet




It is great that our government has initiatives like that to show that we are not forgotten and bringing free local fare to our doorstep.  Though we heard that the last time the queues were not that long.  Lesson learnt - next time bring our own food to join in the picnic, and soak in the Singaporean atmosphere singing "We are Singapore" or "Stand up for Singapore".  The national day pride

I love SG indeed!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f