Skip to main content

Czech out our girly trip! (Part 1)

Last weekend I spent my long weekend (taking Friday off work) in the Czech Republic with my girl friends.  It was Marketa's birthday and she suggested going home with her to visit Prague and then spending some time near her hometown, at her dad's summer house.  Sounds good already isn't it?

If you recall the last time I flew to Prague last year to attend her wedding, K and I missed our flight and it was such a stressful way to get me to attend her wedding reception the next day.  The joke was on me this time, with them asking me not to miss the flight this time round!


Our different passports - only the Singaporean passport has some originality in the choice of colours I say ;)
Clockwise from top: Singapore, UK, Ecuador, Czech Republic

Of course I had to make sure I didn't miss my flight so I left work promptly at 5pm and made my long journey to Heathrow airport.  Met the girls after the security checkpoint and off we went!  We arrived Prague late at night and took a cab to the hotel where we would stay a night and tour Prague the next day.  Again, it felt so nice to just follow and not think about where to go, etc.  Especially they speak their native language.  All 3 of us just followed Marketa obediently hehe.

When we woke up it was glorious sunshine.  As Marketa booked 3 rooms thinking Kine could join us, we ended up with 3 rooms and 4 girls.  So I got one room to myself and so did Sarah.  It felt a bit weird not to share the room with someone else and it took me a while to fall asleep.  I loved my room though, the colour scheme.

My teal coloured hotel room

We toured Prague that day in style, hopping onto this big red shiny old school convertible.  It was such a good choice because the sun was scorching and we couldn't possibly walk and see that much if we didn't take this car ride.  I make us sound like divas, but Prague is a big city with so much to see, and I just can say we chose the most economical way at that point in time :)  Marketa also brought us to this gardens where we walked up to have a good view of Prague.  Such a beautiful day, really.

View of Prague behind us



We love this red car!





A selfie outside Prague Castle

Forgot the name of this wide street but this was where the protests happened many years ago, protesting against communism in this country

For the record here in case you didn't already know, Marketa's great, great grandfather was a famous national Czech composer, Antonin Dvorak.  So we always joke saying she is from a royal family in Czech Republic.  Well, not really a joke because right in front of their National Theatre is a statue of her great great grandfather!

With great great grandfather 

Marketa bought bus tickets for us to get to Budvar, the town where she was born.  It was a 2.5h bus ride.  There we would meet her dad (also called Antonin, but Antonin Dvorak IV) and we would proceed to travel to his summer house.  You might not be familiar with this place Budvar but if I say Budweiser beer, yep, this beer is from the town of Budvar.  We met her dad and there he passed her the car keys and bought 2 crates full of food for us for the next 2 days.  I find it very endearing to see a parent's love for their children, no matter how old they are.  To have him come pick us up, and getting food for us… very lovely :)


Marketa then was tasked to drive another 30min to this small little village called Arnostov with only 80 people.  This is a village in the mountains at 1,000m above sea level and to get directions, she had the names of a few key places to pass through, and then we were in winding mountain roads with no clue where to go.  She called her dad (thank God there was connection!) and he just said "turn left after you see the second group of cows." lol

Her dad's summer house is next to the village pub and apparently he had left a message to the pub owner saying us girls would be arriving tonight.  haha it was really funny.  We went in and were met with a small group of people, two of which were old hippies strumming their guitars and singing Czech songs.  Naturally the group of people all turned to look at us - firstly a group of 4 young ladies walking in, and yes one of whom is Asian looking.  Only Marketa could converse with them in Czech and she soon became our interpreter.  A younger chap called Milan told us he never imagined using English in this village, and I was probably the first Singaporean to visit this town and Gabby the first Ecuadoran.  We all soon hummed along to the songs and had a drink each.  The pub owner's wife kindly made some traditional sausages for us knowing we have yet to have dinner.  This pub experience was not expected because we were the centre of attention of everyone and they were truly amused to see us that night.  It was such a local experience which we all enjoyed.  These Czech villagers were so friendly!

As it was late in the mountains, we had to run from the pub back to her dad's house and in the dark too.  We soon ran back to get some help from Milan to unload our luggages and our 2 crates of food!  We went in and were in awe of the house.  When Marketa said to us "choose your rooms!" no she wasn't kidding.  I soon thought we would probably wake up to a surprise in the morning when we can see the house and its surroundings properly.



Photo link to share:


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f