Skip to main content

Monica's Baby Shower

Saturday bright and early I attended Monica's baby shower all the way in Kent, at Greenhithe.  Well I say "all the way" but to be honest, I live now bordering Kent and Greenhithe is on the same train line so I cannot complain.  Although I have to say that when my alarm sounded at 8am I muttered to K "whoever has a baby shower this early??"  Gabby was to take the train from London Bridge and we arranged to meet on the train, second carriage no less.

In the second carriage

Monica is one of my first friends here in London.  She is from South Africa and we all used to hang out together with Liandi and Faith back in our good ol' Canada Water days.  Then she and hubby Quentin moved further out to Kent and so we seldom meet up except for birthdays or some milestone celebration dinners.

The happy mum to be

Mon who is almost 7 months pregnant

Group pic

Thea (lady in green top) is Monica's friend who kindly opened up her house for this party and I think there couldn't be a better venue.  She lives in a four storey townhouse in a cul-de-sac.  When I walked in, I did a little gasp cos everything was beautiful and the sunlight streaming in from the ceiling of the living room was just stunning.  She had a iron spiral staircase which leads from the living room to their little garden.  I just loved her place the moment I stepped in.  She has decorated up her place for the baby shower beautifully and everything was so well thought out.  She had a string of baby clothes hung up.  She had a table full of finger food, a pretty blue-teal coloured cake.  She had a nappy cake.  Heck, there was even a monkey sitting on a motorbike made up of nappies too.  (Quentin is a motorcycle enthusiast.)  There in a corner she had this white painted tree branch with baby socks tied to it.  And then there was a chalkboard with wishes for us to write for Monica and baby.  Seriously!

Look at all the natural light streaming into the house!

It's all in the details, baby!
LOVE this set up

Liandi and Monica are like best friends despite being across the oceans.  Liandi herself is also pregnant and when she found out that Monica was pregnant, she emailed a few of us saying she would love to plan a baby shower for Monica.  Huh?  Yes she actually planned this all the way from Australia.  What an amazing friend.  She gathered Monica's close friends in London and emailed us and arranged with Thea on the venue, and handmade some presents and sent it over.  She even printed all the invites and sent them to Thea who then sent on to all of us.

The table all set up

Blue/Teal cake for a birthday boy baked by one of the ladies
It was an emotional baby shower I have to say.  Everyone now knows that this is Monica and Quentin's miracle baby and a godsend, so it was a very special affair.  Thea started the party with a prayer thanking God for this baby, and it must have been a difficult journey because Monica started tearing up.    *sniff* We then skyped Monica's sister Jessica who is in South Africa and gosh even though they spoke in Afrikaans, it was another emotional conversation - people started tearing up too!  Certainly wasn't prepared for an emotional baby shower.  

The nappy cake

We then had a quick game where they wanted to test Monica her nappy changing skills blindfolded so that was quite amusing.  I thought since we skyped Jessica, why not Skype the organiser Liandi herself!  So I whatsapp'ed her and soon, we saw Liandi on the TV.  So wish she were here, this amazing friend to Monica.

Liandi joining via Skype

The nappy game

Little touches
  
Vintage teacup set

The monkey on the motorbike made up of nappies!
We each even got a door gift.

Another group pic before we left

So glad to see Janine who is just back from her 9 month mega moon.
Presents from the daddy Quentin - who had bible verses on little onsies in Afrikaans.
How special :)

Our present for baby Brendan

After all the emotions running on high, Thea suggested it's food time and so we spent the rest of the morning mingling about and chatting with the other girls.  So good to see Janine again after her mega moon - they quit their jobs to travel round the world for 9 months.  Seriously brave people.  They have just been back for about a month and so I couldn't wait to hear all her stories.

Now Gabby tells me should she have a baby shower she wants the same details.  Umm no pressure!

Comments

Wow! The baby shower looks so well organized and fun compared to those we have in Singapore! I love the baby clothes in a line and the sockies! So adorable! I love that the baby shower is like a cosy gathering of good friends. And there are games too. Congratulations to Monica :)
Belinda G. said…
HI Christy, thanks for dropping by! Yes I do love the baby shower here.
Hope to see you more often on my blog from now on :)

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f