Skip to main content

Frankfurt (and Friedberg) in a weekend

After so many years here, even my relatively new manager knows I go Germany every Christmas.  And people don't quite understand how a born and bred pure Singaporean girl has German connections?  For this I will forever be grateful to Pris who very graciously welcomed me into her family more than 6 years ago when I came over to London.  Christmas is never meant to be spent alone and for that she has time and again invited me to join the Tews and that's how I came to know the rest of the family.  Sabrina (Pris' sister in law) was here in London for about 9 years and then she left about 3 years ago, now based in Frankfurt.



I have not been to Frankfurt and work wise I am on good terms with the Frankfurt team.  They have been asking on and off when I'm planning to visit and so I thought it's time.  I could crash on Sabrina's comfy couch for 2 nights.  We have not properly chatted since she left London it seems?  At the same time, my NTU professor Olaf and his family moved back to Germany about 5 years ago and when Michelle went visiting them last November, I thought why have I not thought about this idea before?

The lovely pad, aka my home for 2 nights

Well first things first.  Yes I do passively keep in touch with my Final Year Project (FYP) tutor by having him and his wife on my Facebook.  How it even started I have no idea but they were really kind and I remember them throwing a party for us once FYP was over.  They are now living in Friedberg, a small town 45min outside Frankfurt by train with their two beautiful kids.  When I first told Sabrina she had no idea where Friedberg was.  Although to be fair I kept telling her "Hessen" and she was like "umm Hessen is a county i.e. massive!  Where do they live exactly, Bel?"

The reunion at an old school coffee house in Bad Nauheim

I suggested visiting them together and I was so glad we did.  It was such an enjoyable day trip out and I still wonder why I have not thought about visiting them before.  They picked us up from the train station and drove to their new home.  They just moved last month and are still in the unpacking phase.  We had a little house tour, and sat down for a catch up.  I thought it might be awkward but no, it was just so nice chatting with them.  And Cindy suggested going into town for coffee and cake.  Which we did.  They drove out to Bad Nauheim, a neighbouring town which is very pretty.  We settled down into an old school coffee house and continued chatting.  They joked saying they half expected me to speak in a British accent after being in London for so long.

Say hello to Siana and Esko!
Who both speak fluent cantonese by the way!

We took a walk in the park and soon it was 6pm (what? so soon!).  Olaf asked what were our dinner plans and we had none.  Sabrina had suggested joining her friends at some wine festival but we thought to play by ear.  Olaf said they didn't have plans either, "why not let's have a BBQ?"  Yay I love BBQs!  I think I said yes rather excitedly without asking Sabrina.  But I was glad she liked the idea too haha checking with her after my eager "yes".

Busy setting the table; our sit down BBQ dinner

Beautiful Siana helping to set the table.

"Why are you taking photos of me?"

Our tong master helping to set up the BBQ

So from what I thought might be an awkward reunion, it turned out to be so enjoyable that we left only at 10.20pm (to catch the 10.47pm train)!  The two kids Esko and Siana were so well behaved it was almost unbelievable.  We persuaded them to perform a little music piece for us and they were really good.  What a talented family, seriously.  Soon it was time to say goodbye and Olaf and Esko sent us to the train station.

By this time, 50% of my time in Frankfurt was up and I had no idea how Frankfurt looked like.  lol

Next morning, Sabrina gave me their signature Tews brunch.  A full elaborate affair which I love.  I kept telling her no need to rush because it's the company that counts, plus I wanted a relaxing weekend.

German brunch time (or maybe lunch?  It was 12noon!)

The weather seemed better than yesterday though it was really windy.  She said we would be doing some walking today and one of the places she brought me was up Main Tower to look at Frankfurt.

Frankfurt with the River Main running through it

One of the two photos with me in it!

In the city square

She figured that due to time constraints, at least I can say I have seen Frankfurt from up above lol.  We walked and chatted the whole time before finding ourselves at cafe Metropol for tea and cake.  And we soon realised there was not much time left!  I had to go to the airport!

One thing for sure, I think my German connection has grown once more.  I look forward to bringing K for a visit to the Reicks.

A short but wonderful weekend to Frankfurt and Friedberg.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f