Skip to main content

Make Hay While the Sun Shines

We just had the last bank holiday before Christmas.  We had no concrete plans but one thing consistent was that we wanted to take things slow.  We invited the Geesons over to stay over on Sunday night so we can hang out later and still continue hanging out the next day.

On Saturday, Marketa invited us over for an afternoon tea at her new place.  They had their housewarming BBQ the weekend I was in Frankfurt and she wanted to do one just with us girls, which is really sweet.


Yes she even had kaya just for me!  What a thoughtful hostess.

On Sunday, bright and early at 9am, the hubby suddenly decided he wanted to drive out into the country, to Kent specifically.  I was disappointed I could not have a lie in and wondered where he wanted to drive to.  He said he saw a big lake not far from us and said we will drive there.  "Isn't it fun to explore a bit?"  Right, yes I guess so.  We packed a little bag of breakfast food and were on our way an hour later.  I cannot say how stressful it was to get to this place called Chevening because google map didn't quite register it properly.  It was at the crossroads of many major motorways and I think google map got confused, making us taking the wrong exit and doing a detour for 30min.  Boo.. Finally we reached the little town of Chevening where there was a sailing school and we saw many sailboats.  We walked around and found a bench to have our food.  Like a little picnic.  And looked at the serene scene right in front of us.






With the bag of breakfast


K said he saw a state home called Chevening House on the map too and tried to drive there.  Which is in the village of Chipstead.  And I finally had access to a field with huge bales of hay!  Which also reminds me that winter is approaching.. at my insistence we took some pics :)



Almost as tall as me!

Intrigued.  They are rolled up so tightly it's amazing.

"Climb on it!"  I said
"Very prickly!" K replied

What a work of art to me

An old phone booth at Chipstead

Local church in Chipstead

We then proceeded to this retail park which we stumbled upon near Tunbridge Wells and we were delighted at this find.  Well ok I went a little ecstatic because I love Home Sense and they have one there!  We had to drive up and down to different shops a couple of times because it's that big.  And bought some home stuff including some frames which I had an idea brewing for a while in my mind…

We drove home and after an hour or so, the Geesons turned up.  I had told Gabby I needed Ben to help put up some pictures on our wall.  And goodness me.. no one had anticipated what a Monday it would lead us.  I cooked mee goreng for dinner and glad they enjoyed it.  It seems like I'm slowly becoming some Singaporean food ambassador to my Western friends.  Kaya and now mee goreng!  We watched a movie after dinner and went to bed thereafter.

Monday morning it was pouring down buckets like anything so it was clear it's a homebound day.  The Geesons suggested we should start looking at the pictures I want on the walls and soon we came to the mega project: the love wall in our living room.  I wanted a collage of photo frames and as you can see, yes I have amassed quite a few beautiful frames, thanks to the trip to Home Sense which completed it.

In deep discussions

Really fun trying to decide which one goes where, and what picture to use

Finally our decision is made!
The hard part is getting it onto the wall.

So we identified the problem the moment Ben tried hammering in a nail.  All of them came out bent.  To cut the long story short we decided to borrow an electric drill from our neighbour.  Who was so kind he not only lent us his entire tool box with the drill, he also sent us a step ladder and tried to give us tips.  All this while K was silently rolling his eyes and shaking his head.   He whispered to me "isn't today supposed to be slow and lazy, why create this mess?  Haiz…"  Honestly i had no idea it would be this hard.  Our neighbour kindly reminded us that this is a post war house, and the bricks are really strong.  Almost can withstand a bomb or something.  Whoa!  Ok makes me feel very safe, but totally not helping with this love wall project… Finally after A LOT of discussions, drilling, suggestions, knocking, hanging, the masterpiece is up!!!  I told K I won't take this down for the next 10 years.  And I also promised the Geesons no more drilling the next time they stay over.  Gosh I feel so bad, really.

YAY to our completed love wall

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f