Skip to main content

So we met the President (and his wife)

After much anticipation, we finally attended the dinner reception to welcome President Tony Tan and wife Mary, on their first official state visit to the UK.  We do consider ourselves really lucky to be given such an honour since most of our friends tell us they don't get such a chance to meet the president back in Singapore.

Friday evening we went down to the Royal Garden hotel at High Street Kensington after work.  This hotel is owned by the same owner of Goodwood Park Hotel in Singapore, a fellow Singaporean I believe.  The Tans stayed two nights at Buckingham Palace, followed by the presidential suite at this hotel.  The crowd that night was about 200 people I reckon, and all stood around chatting, with an air of anticipation before it started.  I felt really warm and went outside of the ballroom to deposit my coat and overheard one of the security guys saying into the walkie-talkie "please bring the president down…"

People milling about before the event started

A lady emcee went on stage to officiate the start of the evening's event, followed by a speech from the new ambassador to the UK, Ms Foo Chi Hsia.  This is the second I'm hearing her speak, the first being the National Day reception, which was also held at the same place.  Finally they announced that the president and his wife has arrived and everyone applauded.  The entourage entered the room, and President Tony Tan then proceeded to give a speech about his trip, about partnership between our two countries, and the many Singaporeans he has met here.

We were told beforehand to try not using personal cameras to take photos with the president (in particular no selfies.  Maybe he's not a selfie person?), in order not to slow down the crowd.  Rather, there would be an orderly system (queue of course), and there would also be an official photographer to take photos for us so it's faster and they can greet more people.  When the president's speech was done, we were told to carry on with the diner buffet, which naturally was a spread of local food.  The laksa was especially good.  We figured the budget for that night was much higher than the usual Contact Singapore event.

A long snaking queue formed immediately around President Tan and his wife Mary.  People were keen to greet them and get a picture with them.  Us, on the other hand, were more keen on the food.  lol.  Typical Singaporeans.  We saw some friends and chatted over dinner.  We also said hi and introduced ourselves to other Singaporeans sharing the same table.  Many of the members of the SUKA (Singapore UK Association) club are what we would call "old birds" in Singlish.  These are the people who have been in the UK for so many years it's almost unimaginable going back home, no matter how proud they feel to be a Singaporean.  I would guess many of them married British nationals and hence have stayed on ever since.

When I was about done eating, I looked at the queue and gestured for K to join the queue with me.  It moved pretty quickly, and soon enough we shook hands with President Tan and his wife Mary.  His wife is a soft spoken, kind looking lady.  I asked if she has enjoyed the trip so far (yes she said, met a lot of people), and she asked if I was studying here (whoa!  Love this question.. means I look young lol).  I said no and told her where I'm working.  Where she suddenly exclaimed "Oh I met someone else tonight working in the same company as you!"  K stepped forward and introduced himself and said hi.  All of a sudden a group of 5 came up to say hi too and before we knew it, the photographer asked us to stand closer and snapped a pic of all of us.  I'm not sure if we looked awkward cos everything happened in that moment and as we were one of the last ones in the queue, the security personnel came up almost immediately and started to usher them in the direction of the door.  "President Tan is tired" someone said.





I took this parting shot of Dr Tan and wife

After they left people continued with their food and mingled about.  We left probably half and hour later - yep - catch the train home!  Overall a memorable evening I'd say.  Now we just need to find out where to get the photo.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f