Skip to main content

We hosted a dinner party!

In order to save the date on everyone's calendar, I had created a FB page more than a month ago, inviting our friends over for a Christmas party.  Now that we live so far away, we were a little apprehensive about people wanting to travel so far, hence we wanted to give people ample time to plan their schedules.

To cook for 15 people is no mean feat.  We bought lots of food and planned our menu in advance.  Knowing us, I wanted a western meal whereas K wanted Asian food.  So we compromised and had a east-meets-west menu.

~~~~~~~

Starters/ Nibbles

Basil and peppers bread (bought one of my fav bread from Waitrose), heated up in the oven and drizzled with olive oil and balsamic vinegar
Carrot and cucumber sticks with hummus (mashed up chickpeas - tastes better than it sounds)
Crisps (yes, K's fav kind of starters)
Salad with ready made dressing
Smoked salmon on bread with fresh cream, dill and capers (Lloyd and I-Ding's contribution)


Mains

Slow boiled Chicken soup (K)
Beef curry rendang (K)
Mee Goreng (Bel)
Oven baked salmon with lemon and fresh dill (Bel)
Steamed jasmine rice


Desserts

Homemade almond longan jelly (courtesy of JX)
Homemade Tiramisu (courtesy of Lorraine)

~~~~~~~

On Saturday 20th December morning, we woke up bright and early.  Our cleaner came at 8am and at about 9am, K started boiling his chicken soup.  The problem was that we only had one pot which isn't very big.  So he had to split it up into 3 batches.  Each box of chicken formed one batch and he insisted each required a slow cook time of 45min to one hour in order to have tender chicken meat.  This is slowly become one of his best dishes.  At the same time he marinated the beef cubes with his beef rending paste to get the maximum effect.  Our fridge was soon running of out space and we had to leverage on our garden table as the second "fridge" lol.  We put our drinks out in the garden since it's cold enough anyway.

In between the hustling, we made some time to visit our immediate neighbours to wish them Merry Christmas in advance.  We got Christmas cards from them and to wish and thank them too, I bought them some chocolates as well.  Ian and Janice both stay on our left and they have helped us quite a bit since we moved in - especially being our dedicated concierge service.  All my shopping have gone to them since no one is ever at home to sign for my packages.  And Keith on our right; he had kindly trimmed our front hedge a few months ago.  No joke, climbing up so high to trim them back in shape again.  Thank God for kind neighbours :)

We then drove out late morning to get the yellow noodles for my mee goreng dish.  Originally I wanted to cook salmon pasta but K insisted on mee goreng because he loves this dish.  Thank God we had the foresight to buy lunch back in between cos we were famished by the time we reached home.

The messy kitchen

Soon at 330pm I started preparing for two batches of mee goreng because again we have a very decent sized wok meant for 4 people max.  The kitchen soon smelled like home in Singapore.  We had asked our guests to come between 430-5pm for an early dinner.  We were worried they would have no trains home if they stayed late enough.  (I think I am slowly painting an image of us living in the kampung!)  We had also asked our guests to bring either drinks or a dessert so we ended up with many bottles of wine and juices that night.

K joked that we would ask our guests which mains they preferred, to see whose dish is more popular.  Hmm drawing a clear line huh K?

Mee goreng in the process

People started arriving and by 5.15pm pretty much everyone had arrived and we started serving out the food in order.  Everyone raved about our mains.  I mean they had to be pretty good - some self brag here hehe - since effectively K started cooking at 9am that morning.  And cooked with love, no less! :)

All the home cooked goodness in one big pot - kept warm in our rice cooker
We needed to find innovative ways to store our cooked food that afternoon.

It was nice to have our home filled up with chatter and laughter that night.  We had Christmas songs in the background and I had rearranged the dining table to get maximum standing and sitting space in our living room.  I love decorating the table to make it all festive, with a bright red table cloth and a runner with gold stars, and candles all round the room.


Our dining table with the starters

Contribution by Lloyd and I-Ding

Mains

The crowded room.  You can see everyone's concentrating.

K entertaining.  He ate so little that night; he said he was busy entertaining everyone.


Julie and me

And its dessert time


Raving over Lorraine's homemade tiramisu with lots of alcohol

The desserts.  Omg that almond logan was so good.

Lorraine and her tiramisu

Chatting happily

Noelle and Julie

Mini group shot

Lorraine and I-Ding

Victor, Meihui and Yuan Yuan

At the end of the night I reminded K to ask everyone the question.  Team B or team K?
He looked at me and said "No, we shouldn't ask.  Because we are team B&K!".  *Fist pump*

Team B&K indeed.  So glad we did this together because no way I could have cooked for 15 people alone.  What can I say… Grateful for a hubby that cooks!

Comments

Weifen said…
Hello! Wow the mee goreng looks really good! wonder if you can share your receipe? Hehe
Belinda G. said…
Sure, I can email you Weifen! It's super simple and super yummy.

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f