Skip to main content

In Search of Bluebells

Bluebells captured using my iPhone, no filter used

Before we had a garden, I had no idea what Bluebells are.  This Spring, I spotted some pretty purplish blue flowers sprouting about our little front garden and also in our back garden.  They look like they belong to some woods in an Enid Blyton world and so I started googling about them and realise that there are called Bluebells, and there are some places well known for carpets of bluebells in Spring here in the UK.  Excitedly I googled for the best place(s) to see these flowers in Kent since we are not far away.  (What would our lives be without the Google search engine?)

The weather when we arrived.  Blue skies and green grass :)
Sissinghurst Castle Gardens came up and is one of the places recommended by the National Trust.  Without sounding too much like an old English lady, I told K about it and suggested us going if the weather should turn for the better.  It was forecast to rain but hey ho, after lunch on Saturday, the sun came out and so we decided to do an impromptu half day trip.  The drive to Sissinghurst took us a little more than an hour.

We asked the carpark attendant where we could go and see bluebells and he actually told us there is no need to pay to enter the gardens because what we want to see are in the woods behind the castle.  Ooh.. even better! :)

There was a little moat surrounding the castle

Spotted some sheep grazing

We followed this sign into the woods to see wild bluebells

Standing with a good view of the lake

Soon we saw a little fairy door in a tree truck and that's when my heart skipped a beat.  Enid Blyton's world has come alive!  Fairies inside?
K tried to knock..
"Helloooooo… want some crisps?"

When we got into the woods…. ahh we saw them.. so many and so pretty.

And there is was, a carpet of wild bluebells.


Bluebells everywhere!




It was a very leisurely walk and there were not many people.  We were so close to nature, just us two walking, admiring the wild bluebells.  It was silent except for the birds chirping in the air and the occasional kids running past us.  We walked for perhaps 45min before we decided to head out of the woods, towards the castle grounds.  It was pretty warm by that time and I had my first ice cream cone for the year!

It was a lazy Saturday afternoon for these sheep



It was a simple and relaxing afternoon - love days like that.  On the way back home we stopped at a garden centre near Staplehurst and bought some plants home.  I got a pot of blooming blue hydrangeas and two earthen pots wanting to transfer two few potted plants at home in them (we bought two pots of peonies last week!).  You see we are trying to hone some green fingers in the Ong household.  Wish us luck!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f