Skip to main content

Summer in our garden… Welcome!

I was tempted to title this post "Spring in the Garden" because really the weather only warmed up this past few days.  But this being June, should technically be the start of summer.

I risk sounding like a farmer but friends, this is the growing season!  The grass in our garden has been growing steadily and hubby Ong has been mowing the lawn consistently too.  In the process we have witnessed the undying spirit of the cute but strong daisies in the lawn.  They get mowed away but not before long do we see them sprouting up again like nothing has happened.  The Ah Q spirit of the daisies.

We went to church this morning and everyone was raving about the great weather.  We came home after lunch and I thought I could take some photos in the garden and share on my blog with you.

So here they are.. a little tour of our garden.  Let's start from the front, right after we step out of our kitchen door which leads into the garden.

I bought a pot of eucalyptus plant and it has been growing well.  So well that it went so tall I had to buy some long sticks to support it.  Who knew that they can't grow tall without any support?

I also bought two pots of peonies as I love these flowers.  Two bloomed last week and they are somewhat dying by now :(

This is the other pot of peony which I am still waiting for red peonies to appear.  It's been two months but nothing.  Keep waiting I guess...

Stinging nettle leaves and the flowers.
How did I know they were stinging nettle?  Cos I got stung by the leaves last year thinking they were weeds.  If you look closely on the leaves you can see very tiny and feint looking spikes.

Pretty pink flowers started appearing on this tree a few weeks ago and I think they are in full bloom now.  We have no idea what this tree is called.

A close up on the flowers.  The bees love this tree.

A semi close up of the flowers

Next up we have another tree which looks like cacti is growing out of it


And we have our tallest tree, the eucalyptus tree.  This tree sways so much when the wind blows I'm always worried it's gonna fall on the house.

The strong daisies sprouting all over the lawn



Next we have what we both agreed to be the most beautiful tree of the moment: the pyracantha (or more commonly known as Firethorn)

Full of white flowers!  More flowers than leaves!

I saw a few fat bees milling about when I was taking pictures of this tree

Another closeup

Next up we have the most "practical" tree in the garden - our cherry tree!  The cherries appeared after the flowers dropped off and they are slowly growing bigger.  Loads of them!

When ripened they turn orange and not red

The birds and squirrels love them.  Last year we didn't know to protect them (actually we still don't know how to) but all the birds/ squirrels finished them, leaving 2 cherries for us!  How kind of them.

See so many of them.  I have a feeling we will be doing charity again for the birds and squirrels this year. 

This is actually our neighbour's tree growing into our space.  Not that we mind.  More pink flowers!

Towards the back of the garden we have this area of yellow flowers currently.
We have no idea if they are weeds or what.

Close up of the yellow flowers which later on I found out to be meadow buttercups!  What a nice name :)

Another plant sprouting big white flowers in the midst of a cluster of tiny flowers

Quite special don't you think?

I took this shot standing at the end of the garden

See the tall eucalyptus tree and the many daisies dotted all over

We have to admit we didn't do any planting work in the garden.  It all came this way when we bought the property.  The previous owners were this retired couple who loved gardening and it has to be said their garden was one of the nicer ones along this row of houses.  Unfortunately both K and I have no green fingers and honestly, no time to invest in the garden.  All we are hoping is that none of these beautiful plants and trees die under our "care".

Comments

Anonymous said…
Lush, green and pretty!
Belinda G. said…
Thanks! A bit overgrown too!

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f