Skip to main content

The end of an era

Warning: emo post ahead

So that was it.  I said good bye to my friends, colleagues, manager and team mates,  I've been arranging farewell lunches and coffee catch ups with people I would love to keep in touch with.  Lots of eating and coffees!

For the first time probably, I had no Monday blues.  I went in to work with a somewhat heavy heart.  So emo I know...

I did not do any work on my last day.  I had the usual Monday morning team meeting followed by breakfast with a colleague and another ex team mate for a coffee.  When Ade gave me a card he coordinated with the junior bankers, I was very touched.  In fact I thought I might cry.  I opened it and closed it immediately, thanking him and saying I will read it later.  He even accompanied me to M&S to get sweets for my team.  Over here if it is your birthday, or if you are leaving, you usually buy sweets (anything sweet - cookies, biscuits, gummy bears, Percy Pigs, cakes) for your team. And within my team, we have a tradition for a green cake.  Not pandan cake in case you were thinking.  It's the marzipan cake from Paul which has a green layer of marzipan called Fraisier.  Everyone agrees this is probably the best cake from Paul.  Which I got too, without breaking the tradition.



I met Doris for lunch - our last lunch in the wharf.  See the thing is, I will not be based in Canary Wharf anymore so it is impossible to meet up with anyone for lunch in the future (double sigh).  We had a small lunch and chatted… not often I utilise my full hour lunch like that day!  I went back to the office armed with the Paul cake much to the team's delight.  Paul commented he would make a cup of tea to go with it at 230pm sharp - how precise.  A few colleagues called me from other locations and I said my goodbyes.  I sent out an email asking colleagues to come over for sweets and cakes.  It was an odd Monday, even for my team.  They were like "all these food, Belinda!".

Met two more colleagues for coffee catch ups.  M is close becoming a friend more than a colleague.  We worked together when he was a corporate banker covering the UK clients and he needed me to review his loan models.  Now he has moved on to M&A covering Natural Resources clients.  I used to tell him "whoa you are now an investment banker, what a glamourous life!"  And he would shake his head and tell me he is struggling with the long working hours and he wishes to see his wife more.  Out of curiosity I would ask what time does he work till every night (or morning, for that matter).  He said not before 1am for sure, and early means 10pm.  Everyday!  He starts before 9am too… hmm not sure if I want his life.

My manager told me my leaving speech would be at 530pm.  Typically when someone leaves, he or she would get a leaving speech.  I must admit I dread this the most.  A crowd will usually gather at your desk and the manager would open up with a speech - thanking you for your work, blah blah.  Might add in one or two funny stories.  Then people clap and wait eagerly for your speech.  More applause followed by the manager presenting you with a leaving gift or two bought with contribution collected when your farewell card was being passed around.

530pm soon came and a small crowd came by my desk.  When it started we had probably 12 people?  And more people soon joined.. my manager thanked me for everything in the past 18 months I worked for him, said some kind words.  I tried not to look too emotional.  And then yep, it was my turn.  Seriously I don't really remember what I said cos I was so worried I would burst out in tears or something.  Thankfully I.held.it.all.together.  I remember saying I'm actually sad to leave, but I think the time has come to see the world, hence my decision.  I wished everyone the best and I was presented with two bags.  They got me a bracelet from Links of London, and another bag of a hand cream set with a matching room spray from my fav store The White Company.  Everyone clapped and you get an awkward pause, before seeing the crowd slowly dispersing.  It's always like that :).  Some might linger for a bit wanted to see the presents, or some just want to give a goodbye hug to wish you well.

My farewell bracelet which I really like. I promised them I will wear this on my first day to work in my new job.

Soon it was 6pm, time to leave.  My manager did look rather emotional himself, bless him.  He's not the sort to show much emotions and all he said was "are you going home?  Do you want to grab a drink in the pub?"  (See I told you he loves his beer.)  I actually thought it was a nice gesture.  So I said "why not?"  One drink each and a bit of a heart to heart talk on work stuff.. ha we tend to over drinks.  Before we bade each other an awkward goodbye in front of the tube station.

~~~~~~~

Thursday night was my official farewell drinks.  Lots of traditions here eh?  Again, usually people leaving will host leaving drinks.  Leaving a firm is soon becoming an expensive affair isn't it?  I soon realised!  I did mine at a bar near West India Quay.  Weather was great, thank God and the waitress gave me a very nice outdoor area with a nice corner sofa even.  Everyone was impressed.  People came in two waves and I think maybe around 20ish people turned up in total.  Even K turned up as a special guest!  He finally met my manager and my MD after hearing about them for so long.  I pre ordered beer and wine and two platters to share.  Thanks for the nice summer weather, everyone agreed it was a good night out.  Not in the crazy way - we are too old for that.  But more with a beer in hand standing around chatting and everyone was very curious on how a life of relaxation is like for me now.  I guess I need to enjoy whilst it lasts!  We left around 10pm, after a final hug with my team mate Paul who was the last guy there with his friend.

If you can spot the tall English looking guy, that's my manager ha

~~~~~~~

It is indeed heartwarming to read all the messages when I was back home.  Lest I lose the cards in years to come, I decided to immortalise them here.



Some of them were pasted in because they are not based in London so they emailed Ade their messages.







Goodbye JPM, it has been a pleasure.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f