Skip to main content

Selah

Life has been pretty mundane these past few weeks in general.  I guess it's the colder season and it takes more energy to drag ourselves out of bed and come weekends we prefer to stay home and just chill.  It has been so for the past 2 weekends which was low key and nice.  But that also means I have more time to pause and think and reflect about life.  And the golden question is, did I make a wrong choice to leave my previous workplace?

I am still adjusting to my new workplace - new company, new colleagues, new systems, even the new work location in the city.  As much as I was sad to move to Canary Wharf years ago, now that commute is longer I do think working in the city is overrated for me.  I do prefer working in CW just because the travel is less stressful.  I arranged to meet up with my ex manager Ed and another team mate Rich for drinks last Wednesday and I realised how much I missed them short of sounding emotional and sentimental.  They greeted me with big hugs and asked about how I am doing, and updated me on how the team is now.  They have just found my replacement and assured me I am very much missed.  Truth is, I have been struggling to adjust to my new place.  I know my family reading this would probably say along the lines like "We advised you not to leave… xxx was a good bank…"  I guess older folks value stability and familiarity over anything else.  This brings me to the topic of working in banks or investment banks in particular and the irony of putting the words "stability" and "IB" in the same sentence.

If you ask me, there is no such thing as a good IB to be in these days.  Gone are the good days of banking, it's true.  All IBs are announcing cuts, and even those that do not announce, are doing it silently (I call it the assassination style).  Under the constant pressure of regulators, more and more compliance people are being hired to make sure the shop is being run properly; more and more project people are brought in to do "change management projects" to satisfy regulators.  With costs going up, and still having the constant pressure to deliver to shareholders, of course management will look for ways to cut costs and one of the most effective ways is to let go of people.  We have met quite a few people who have been made redundant and I realise there has been a big shift in mindset, at least for me.  Where previously, being made redundant is like a taboo topic which people are embarrassed to admit, these days it is so common that it is no longer that big a taboo topic.  Especially seeing good and experienced people being let go... when someone is being let go these days, it doesn't necessarily mean he/ she was under performing in his/ her job.  Some redundancies are made under senseless logic.  I guess it comes down to pay.  There is more cost savings associated with letting go of someone senior, and then replacing them with fresh grads.  We see it happen all the time.  It's all about how long you can stay afloat before someone comes and tell you "sorry but your job has been made redundant…"  Of course, for good employees, HR will work with your manager to try and get you another role within the bank if possible.  And from the day of you being notified, you have about 3 months to look for a job.  In the previous team that I am in, I guess I was lucky in terms of job stability.  However the reason why it was stable is because they worked each team so thinly that no manager could afford anyone leaving the team.  If there should be any movement, the rest of the team had to carry the extra load because to get a headcount replacement is extremely difficult.  And most IBs these days do not take external hires; they prefer internal transfers.

Yes so when I left, I did throw my team into disarray because it literally took them 4 months to get my replacement who was funnily, hired from our New York office.  Even when I was there and the team was operating at full capacity, the amount of workload was tremendous and I constantly had heart palpitations (no joke) and constantly felt I couldn't work fast enough, answer emails fast enough, or respond to queries enough.  I thought that all these constant buzz and heart palpitations were normal.  It was all part of the job and I did love the nature of my job as it was close to the financial markets and more often than not I felt like I was part of the deal teams working on various acquisition financings or corporate lending.  To me it was the price to pay for such an interesting job.  I only wished my workload would be lesser but of course that was just a dream because workload only gets more, not less in an IB.  Towards the end of my 3rd year in that role, it became very much a love and hate thing.  I loved it when I could tell K over dinner that the M&A deal which was announced today?  I was working on the financing with the deal team!  And beamed with pride.  When one of the major UK supermarkets had a big fiasco and needed money, they approached us and another bank in confidence to borrow money to tide over.  It was a very hush-hush thing, and  my manager and I were privileged to be in the know and worked with the bankers on modelling the loan (many zeros behind I assure you).  And yet hated it because of the reasons I mentioned above (heart palpitations and all).  One of our contractors with whom I've become close friends with, commented that that team is probably one of the craziest busiest team she has ever been.  "Non stop!" she would say.  And it didn't help that last year I had a tyrant for a boss who ran the team like a strict schoolmaster.  It was ridiculous because that was the last thing we needed.  Everyone hated him but funnily no one left the team.  Everyone suffered quietly under him.  She looked at us and concluded "it's the Stockholm syndrome"- it is really true and yet funny.  At that time I asked her what the Stockholm syndrome is and she said "it's when you start sympathising with your kidnapper.." lol google it!

I started to think I needed a change.  But how many of us really know what we want to do?  I know what I don't want to do but not the other way round.  I considered really carefully before accepting this new job and prayed so much about it, constantly asking God for signs.   I have literally spent my youth in the previous bank.  A decade is a really long period of time.  I spoke to a few trusted people, one of whom was an ex manager who is very supportive.  He told me "I have been here 25 years, and all my life I always valued loyalty to the company.  However since 5 years ago, my mindset started to change.  The longer you stay here, the more the company takes advantage of you and gives you minimum pay rise each year.  Which is why many people leave, and then come back a few years later.  At that time with that higher base salary, it is sad but true - the bank willingly pays you the higher salary when you return.  That's the trend right now."  Wow that was a revelation coming some someone senior in the bank and he actually encouraged me to take the plunge.  He said "of course you need to factor in the nature of the role, and how much are they offering you.  10 years is a long time and I think it is time for you to see how another bank operates and learn from another perspective.  I do hope you will consider coming back in a few year's time."  That was really encouraging hearing from someone I respect.  I was also concerned that the longer I stayed here, the longer I was trapped in this xxx bubble and be further set in their ways.

It's now almost 4 months here and it is just so different.  It is almost the complete opposite.  There is no buzz.  I feel like I work in a library.  People seem more silo and there isn't as much team spirit.  Not saying it's a bad place, but in this period of adjustment I am not very partial and level headed.  My new manager is nice but the nature of the job is so different that I do wonder how long could I do this role.  My head still tells me it's ok, because too much heart palpitations is not good for the body.  I think my body is so used to being so tensed up that suddenly it doesn't know how to relax a bit.  Sometimes I need to remind myself that slower pace is ok, this is how normal is.  But of course, now the price to pay is that I am one step removed from the markets and I struggle to feel excited about the job.

Is the grass greener on the other side?  I am still not sure.  At the moment I am in a bigger pasture but the grass seems stale…

Selah.


I was worshipping Jesus alone in my bedroom today and was reminded of this song which we sang years ago in church back home, what I classify as a Hillsong "oldie".  It's one of my all time favourites.

I am encouraged that we serve a faithful God no matter what happens.  Hallelujah.



You are forever in my life

You see me through the seasons
Cover me with Your hand
And lead me in Your righteousness
And I look to You

And I wait on You

I will sing to You, Lord
A hymn of love
For Your faithfulness to me
I'm carried in everlasting arms
You'll never let me go
Through it all

Hallelujah, hallelujah 

Comments

Unknown said…
I could have written this post! Having left a job after almost 8.5 years, I struggled to fit into my new role. I knew within the first week that it wasn't the right one for me. I resigned in week six and left in week 9. I took some time off and then went for numerous interviews which I really enjoyed. It was a good learning experience and made me realise what I wanted to do. I'm about to start my new role in the next few weeks.

Be brave in whatever you decide to do.
Belinda G. said…
hello there! Are you in IB/ finance too? It is good to know I am not alone and you are brave to resign in week 6! Good luck in your new role.
Unknown said…
I'm in Finance. Did you read the news about the FD of Dominoes resigning today after only joining in June? Thank you, luck much needed! Did you try the Char Kuey Teow in Mudmee Thai yet?
Belinda G. said…
Oh not yet! So far only tried Ekachai which I don't think it's fantastic. Is Mudmee Thai better? Is it closer to Spitafields Market?
Unknown said…
Ekachai is a bit manic during lunch. I prefer Mudmee, a much calmer experience in comparison and their starters are quite nice. They have an express lunch menu which is good value. Yes, Mudmee is closer to Spitalfields market.
jellybeano said…
You might probably exhaust yourself too much if you kept working that hard! Perhaps you can view this as an opportunity to start new projects, enjoy hobbies, etc, sort of like a sabbatical. Then, you can decide which you like better - being challenged and tensed, or relaxed with time on hands.
Bel said…
Hi Yeelin nice to know you are still reading my blog! :) yes I guess you are right. My body needs to know how to slow down and know what "normal" is. Hope you are well!

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f