Skip to main content

Guest post | Christmas 2015


Christmas sounds like ages ago but of course it needs to be documented, it being my favourite holiday of the year.  This post is special because I've asked Pris who came over with her family, to blog about it!  As mentioned previously Pris and I go a long way back.  We were in NTU and met when we both joined Campus Crusade for Christ and were in the same discipleship group.  The friednship was cemented when we went to Canada for student exchange and it was there that we all knew Stephan, "the other exchange student from Germany".  Soon after Pris and Stephan started dating.  Fast forward they got married and she moved to Germany.  I had no idea that fate would bring me to this part of the world, and since arriving in London, she has very kindly invited me to join her and the Tews family for Christmas every year.  It's also Pris who inspired me to start a blog to keep in touch with family back home and I never knew I loved writing that much - this blog will be 8 years old in April!  Since meeting the Tews, I've got to know them really well, and feel so welcomed in their family (adopted even!).  Pris suggested visiting us in London for Christmas last December and I was a little worried that the yearly Tews tradition would be broken, but at the same time, I did think it is time to show some hospitality in return :)  It would be fun having a lively Christmas with them and the two kids.  So here goes!

~~~~~~~




Hi, I'm Priscilla and we have just spent the past Christmas with the lovely Bel and her hubby, K.  Bel has been our perennial Christmas visitor over the past few years, whereas we have only managed to visit her once back in 2009 when we were still happily carefree without kids.




Since then, London has always been a top visit-again destination on our list but unfortunately, with 2 kids in tow, we've never plucked up the courage to visit this metropolis. London's reputation of being stroller-unfriendly in the subway stations and crazily jam-packed trains during rush hours is enough to deter any parent from visiting with young kids.


They loved hanging out with uncle Kian

This time however, I decided that I simply had to visit London before our #3 made his appearance in Spring 2016. Being Singaporean, I've had lots of local food cravings for this pregnancy but unlike my other 2 pregnancies, I couldn't fly back to Singapore this time. So, we decided to kill two birds with one stone and spend Christmas with the Ongs, while I could happily indulge in authentic Asian food.
I'm really glad that Belinda knows our family pretty well. She's seen my 2 boys growing up and my older one remembers her by name. While we all looked forward to having an English Christmas for the first time in 9 years, I was a bit apprehensive at how our family of 4 would be descending on her "two-people-world" like a bunch of locusts!  Ok, locusts would be stretching it, but we do have 2 rambunctious toddler boys after all.  


I found them hiding under the dining table one morning

Our 8 days at the Ongs household turned out much better than we had feared. The boys didn't destroy anything, save for an unfortunate incident when Gabriel got hold of a pen and drew on Bel's shabby chic (ie. vintage) and white(!!!) bedside table. The hub got into emergency mode and quickly erased the pen marks with a good-old eraser. Day saved! *phew!*

Caught them in action sliding down the stairs

Boys will be boys

The boys had superb fun sliding down the carpeted stairs every.single.day! And they went SO fast! I seriously thought at least one would end up slipping and that would mark an end to their adventure. However, even a close-call for Gabriel only ended up with him laughing his heads off before he continued for more!

Our Christmas was very relaxing. Really. REALLY. relaxing! Compared to the crazy madness we usually have doing last-minute present wrapping, going to church, preparing our Raclette dinner, having the family over, the clean-up after etc, last year's Christmas was such a breeze!

B and K had bought ready-made turkey breast that could be easily shoved into the oven, together with ready-made vegetables. The only thing we had to prepare was the salad. And since we arrived in London on the 23rd of Dec, we were done with all our last-minute present wrapping.

Table all set!

Chef Ong in his element trying to divide portions of the turkey which was so good

Roast turkey with stuffing, topped with a bacon lattice served with honey roasted vegetables

It was just so good to celebrate Christmas out of the ordinary and spend some quiet moments with close friends. The kids liked their "shark attack" present, although I must say that they probably enjoyed the unwrapping of the presents more than the presents themselves!

Lacking a Christmas tree, we placed all the presents next to the possibly smallest tree in the world with fairy lights
Kinda works, no?

Time to open presents!


Bel: They couldn't wait to open all the presents.  However Gabe was so adorable - remember I told you he likes cleanliness? It extends to tidiness too because he opened his present in small shreds of papers and had to throw each of them into the bin.  Took ages and Sammy just ripped off the whole thing in a split second.  Lol

Bel: Guess what I brought back from Singapore for Pris - tim tams! haha she texted me when I was in SG about ordering Tim Tams from Amazon which cost EUR11!  I told don't buy and secretly bought one from NTUC haha

Excited about his Sherlock card game.. which none of us ever figured out how to play!  Too tough!

K and his very practical present

I had the biggest present wahey!

Soon noticed the boys devouring Pris' tim tams lol

Bel received a warm and snug snood from K - love it!


We spent the rest of the Christmas holidays going on leisurely walks to the park in Greenwich, me indulging in my Asian delicacies like Dim Sum, Beijing duck pancakes, bubble tea, Singaporean food. Honestly, we had no specific agenda for London. We came mentally-prepared that with 2 kids in tow, we would have to scale down on expectations on what we hope to see in London.

At Knole Park

We were freezing here btw

I was happy going to Leicester Square (Chinatown), eating a sumptious lunch, heading to a museum to hang out for an hour or two, before heading somewhere else for dinner. Lol.


Gabriel and his love for bubble tea

The kids were very much troopers too. We got a very light-weight buggy (pushchair) for the younger one, while the older one walked the entire time. I must say that the ages of 4 and 2.5 years is a pretty manageable age for London.

Sammy and papi

Whenever we took the subway, the hub would be the one to carry the buggy on the stairs, Sammy made his way up by himself, while I trudged slowly behind with the little one who could only manage one step at a time (read: VERY slowly). I'm 6.5 months pregnant, so I couldn't possibly carry an almost 15-kg toddler up and down the stairs. So as much as I felt sorry for the commuters behind us, I could do nothing else other than walk in a beeline behind Gabriel and try to allow more space for the others to pass us by.



I must say that I was pretty impressed by the general social graces of the people in London. I never once heard any audible sighs or any indication of impatience when I was managing those subway stairs with my little ones. A couple of people also approached the hub to ask if he needed help carrying the buggy up the stairs. For a metropolis with 10 million inhabitants, I found this really noteworthy! Commuters often gave up their seats when they saw the little ones standing in the subway too, so kudos to that! I didn't have anyone giving up their seat for me, but I'm assuming its cos it's not that easy to see I'm pregnant with my trench coat on and all.

All-in-all, it was a very pleasant and lovely Christmas break in London. We all took turns to come down with a weird sore throat / slight fever but nothing too serious - except for the hub who is still nursing his sore throat after more than a week! Thanks Bel and K for opening your house to us! Sam (my older one) was so sad to leave and kept saying "I want to stay at Auntie Belinda's house."
London is after all only a 1hr 20 mins flight away from Stuttgart, so we really could visit the Ongs more often..... Shh! I think they do need some time to recuperate from the kids.

Farewell dinner at Burger & Lobster


Guest blogger:  Priscilla is a stay-at-home to 2 boys, aged 4 and 2.5years with a 3rd one joining in the fun in April 2016. A Singaporean based in Stuttgart, Germany for the past 9 years, she thinks she’s almost 1/3 German! She enjoys hanging out with her boys, finding fun things to do, blogging, instagraming and trying out new recipes. The Tews are a God-loving and people-loving family who love being a blessing to others! www.prissteph.blogspot.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f