Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, my love

Time flies and we found ourselves celebrating K's birthday.  Last year we celebrated it back in Singapore and this year is no exception, more so a milestone birthday for this birthday boy :)

I had arranged a series of surprises for him with friends and family.  In fact today we just wrapped up with a (final) birthday lunch!

It started in Singapore.  We met up with ex-Londoners at Imperial Treasure (if you go to the Paragon branch, please order the peking duck because they don't call it super peking duck for no reason..).  Our best man CL surprised the birthday boy with longevity buns!  This Chinese restaurant does not serve any cakes but said they can serve these birthday buns - one for each of us.  The lovely couple CL and wife even remembered to bring a birthday candle for K.  Too cute.



On the day before K's actual birthday, we celebrated it with his family.  Starting with a hearty meal at Jumbo Seafood @ Dempsey which was oh-so-good.  We definitely had an interesting episode with the restaurant over our plate of otah fried rice but all ended well.  The crabs were massive!  We ended the night with the family tradition of an ice cream cake for K.

With our Jumbo bibs

Family shot

Dissecting the ice cream cake with a chopper lol


On his actual birthday (yes never-ending!), I arranged a little surprise with my family.  We had lunch at grandma's and my brother and sis in law bought a durian cake in the afternoon (Emi Cakes - so yummy, with frozen durian pieces in between fluffy layers of cake).  Whilst K was lazing on the sofa reading his usual Daily Mail news, we brought the cake out and sang him a birthday song.  Needless to say he was well surprised.  And the whole time little Sarah was screaming with delight.


And nope, it hasn't ended!

We needed to continue back in London :)

I arranged for a dinner with our usual group of friends at Hawksmoor, again a surprise.  I came up with some excuse of having to return some shopping in Piccadilly Circus (believable reason haha!) and suggested dinner outside since we had no work the next day.   I brought him into Hawksmoor and it was quite funny.  He needed the toilet and so when the waitress showed us our table, he completely didn't see Rachel sitting at the table.  He zoomed straight to the toilet, only to bump into Lawrence in the toilet! lol SURPRISE!! 

So happy with his presents

Group shot

The steak was juicy and succulent.  We waited for a long time for our food due to some problem with their grill and the waiter kindly arranged for some free starters for us on the house.  Woohoo!


By this time we were both so full we could only share one dessert

I'm losing count over the number of surprises and meals for this birthday boy :) However there is one last one which I'll save for another post.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f