Skip to main content

Project Scotland v2 | Inverness to Torridon

When I first came over to the UK, my first trip out of London was actually to Scotland with Cynthia and friends.  I still remember that 9h overnight train (bad idea) to Aberdeen where we met up with the rest and split into two cars, led by LSC.  He planned everything and we were all very grateful for all the research and planning work gone into our trip.  We laughed so much those few days, listening to their PwC stories, and at the end of it I felt like I knew his colleagues even though I've not seen them before.  We fondly called that trip Project Scotland.

In between I made a trip to Glasgow with my girl friends as it's Sarah's hometown.  We visited her family and hung out.  We even took the train and went down to Edinburgh for an afternoon to visit her aunt.

Fast forward years later, I found myself back on another similar Project Scotland which I should probably call "Project Scotland v2".  Last year Lawrence suggested that the group of us do the NC500 (North Coast 500 mile) route in northern Scotland.  This route opened about 2-3 years ago and they liken it to Route 66 in the USA.  British Airways was to start their new route from London to Inverness (capital of the Scottish Highlands) and according to Lawrence we should grab this opportunity to fly this route and explore before it becomes too touristy.  I can't remember the last time we were so organised for any trip, but we booked the tickets 8 months before, and 5 months before I did the accommodation research and booked our rooms.  As it was to be a road trip we had different B&Bs every night.  I even had a dedicated spreadsheet of our route and accommodation each night.  Later on Rachel added on tourist attractions and even pre booked our meals are various restaurants.  In short, we were very prepared for our trip!

Purple heather flowers everywhere, just like Yorkshire

The girls on the trip

Alas, but just one thing we were not too prepared for: midgies.

These are like sand flies, and can be found in the highlands in summer, especially in wet areas.  They bite, oh yes they bite as I soon found out on our first day.

We landed on Saturday afternoon and our first stop was Loch Ness, yes, in search of Nessie.  Weather held up (i.e. no rain) and so we went straight to Rachel's first recommendation - restaurant overlooking Loch Ness.

We drove in our rented car towards Torridon and made some stops along the way.  We soon realised that NC500 highway was more like a single road with many passing places for our car to slow down and stop to allow the car in the opposite direction to pass by.  You couldn't go too fast with such an arrangement.


We spotted jumping salmon here

Trying to capture jumping salmon fishes from the waterfall.. lol

Easy hike

Take a break!



The Torridon was one of the most beautiful places in our trip.  In the 5 days we were there, we saw vast pieces of uninhabited lands, showcasing the wild beauty of the highlands (midgies included).


Reflections

Calm waters.  Beautiful right?  Alas because of the stagnant water, there were swarms of midgies which unfortunately I was bitten so badly here

Driving on the NC500 route


We stayed at the Torridon Inn which is within a protected area, almost like a nature reserve.  The next morning we took so many pictures here because the sun was shining and colours were bursting!


The highlands cow is called Coo.  I had a coo burger the night before :P

The yellow bits are marshland but it adds beautiful colour to the pic don't you agree?

Bursting with colours


my love :)




The Torridon Hotel

More to come :)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f