Skip to main content

Autumn my favourite season

Just because I am an autumn baby :) after all the hot summer days, cooler days sets in.  Well to be honest these days are actually cold, not cooler.  These mornings when we leave the house for work, we see our misty breaths as we walk hurriedly to the train station.  K's catch phrase these days is "omg it's so cold..."  The sun sets earlier and by 5pm it's dark.  My favourite is seeing green leaves bursting into colours of yellow, orange and red all over.

Signs of autumn in our garden again

Has it been a year already?




Work wise, we have moved to our brand new building next door last week.  I have to say the move was very smooth and seamless, well done to the move team.  To move more than 5,000 people to one building over a few weeks is no mean feat.  These days, banks are moving towards an agile workspace.  What does this mean you might wonder.  It's a first for me too, so let me explain.  Technically you don't have a fixed desk.  Your team of 12 is assigned an area of say 10 seats and as long as your team sits in that assigned area everyday, that's fine.  What about the remaining 2 you ask.  Yes, so they encourage people to work from home these days so a guy I know work from home say, every Tuesday just so everyone can fit into that designated area.  Each of us has been assigned a locker (back to school!) and at the end of the day, you need to clear your desk and move all your stuff into the locker so that the next day someone else can take that desk you were using today.  It is all very clinical to me but this is the trend these days.  They argue that there are a lot of empty desks everyday with people traveling for business or away on holidays, so to save costs, they don't create enough desks for everyone.  There are also many "breakout areas" dotted around "to encourage more teamwork and collaboration" - all these office lingo - despite the clinical environment.

For me, it's not that bad because we are in a "private area" meaning we deal with confidential information so we are in a secured area and so we pretty much stick to the same desk everyday and hence no need to clear our desks.  Everything is brand new which is great.  Our desks are height adjustable meaning you can work standing up - especially useful after a heavy lunch and you want to stretch a bit and not sit down and feel stodgy like a bun the whole time.  At least I tell myself I'm also burning calories whilst standing.  The coffee machines are great - I get myself one free decaff latte every morning :) The restaurant is not too bad either.  See when I started here a year ago, the tiny canteen had nothing to boot, carpets were stained, old and worn out.  The worst was to see the few resident mice (yes mice - plural) scurrying about IN BROAD DAYLIGHT which is  pretty much ILLEGAL to me, but yet it seemed like I was the only one concerned about them because all my colleagues all continued working as if nothing happened.  So this new place does not have any mice (yay!) although my colleagues love to add the word "yet" after my sentence.

Last Wednesday Gabby brought baby Isabella (I call her Bella-chan) to meet me for lunch on my birthday.  Where did we go?  I actually suggested going to our staff restaurant hehe.

Beautiful mommy with Bella-chan





As this is the start of my busy season, I've been working a bit later than usual.  On Friday night K and I went for dinner at this restaurant near our workplace.  We've been here once before, but wow the scallops I ordered were mind blowing.  So yummy!

Grilled scallops to perfection

And we had a Singaporean breakfast the next morning :)  Steamed kaya buns with two cups of kopi!

Had to include my birthday flowers from K :)

You know it's cold when your hubby wraps himself in a throw and lies comfortably in his fav position on our sofa and plays with his phone

A few snaps of dinner this week which I shared with my family and also sharing here.  No food styling whatsoever haha

Baked salmon in nasi lemak chilli (so easy and so yummy) with fried runner beans with onions and dried shrimp paste homemade from my grandma, served with some tofu miso soup

K's fav dish of mine - chicken claypot mushroom rice
This super easy recipe never goes wrong and tastes even better using our new rice cooker using the claypot function!
(Pris - recognise the chilli bottle? hehe)

And that's our life these days!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f