Skip to main content

Our autumnal life

Days are short, nights are long.  This is essentially what happens in winter.  I do think it's still considered autumn but this coming week, with the dipped temperatures, perhaps we are in winter already.

Christmas decor is up in the Ong household and carols fill the air.  I love putting on a Christmas playlist (Spotify is the best) with the fairy lights blinking on our mantlepiece.

Our main Christmas decor in the house

I love the idea of having a Christmas tree but when we think about taking down the ornaments and disposing of the tree afterwards, we feel lazy already! lol I can just about manage to keep this Christmas garland and oh I added fairy lights to it this year too.  Spot the little pumpkin which seem to last forever.  Got it since early October!  I'm currently on the lookout for a fresh wreath for our front door and I'm hoping to get it from the lady who has a flower stall near my workplace.  She told me to come back in December so I'm gonna do that.

Our personal calendar is filling up pretty fast, with work dinners and Christmas parties, as well as meet up with friends.  I signed us up for a church service, Christmas by Candlelight, this coming Saturday which should be good.  Friends are also giving birth one by one, and we have an upcoming "Welcome to the world" lunch this weekend.  This year I don't think we will be hosting any Christmas dinners at our place because Rachel is doing it, although I do think it would be nice to have some festive cheer.  We are once again visiting our German family in Stuttgart for Christmas which would be really nice.

Last weekend I met up with two girl friends for afternoon tea in a lovely tavern by the river, in Greenwich.  Greenwich village is not too far from where we live and I wondered why do we not explore it more, considering how beautiful the place is.  Some shots to share with you below:









I LOVE how cosy this corner looks - I could easily spend an afternoon in this corner with a cup of tea reading a book


Last Friday was Hillsong's Sisterhood United night, where girls met in various locations across the UK, with two venues across London.  Sarah texted me asking me to join her for the one at Westminster and so I went.  Hubby took the chance to meet up with his mates for dinner.
The sermon by Pastor Bobbie was really good, I was challenged and did think the message was meant for me.  We also received the official invitation to next year's Colour Conference, one event that I have not missed in the past 6 years.  It is so good that most of us always sign up a year in advance.

One thing about this season I find is that it makes me rather pensive at times, most likely due to the weather, strange as it may sound.  It feels like hibernation beckons.  After the service I said goodbye to Sarah and friends and made my way back to Westminster tube station.  The night scene stopped me in my tracks as I looked up at the all impressive Big Ben with the London Eye lighted up in the background.  I had to pull out my phone and take a snap of it.



I reminded myself not to take for granted the privilege of living in this beautiful city.  I remember in my first two years here, I would wake up on days and feel so excited to be able to live and work in this city.  As years went by, especially recent years as life took over, sometimes I forget that excitement which I had in the beginning.  Sure, that excitement can't hold forever but I think it is good to feel thankful and remind myself of how I felt when it started.




These days I'm prone to reflecting on my life and have pensive thoughts, filled with 'what if's and 'if only's.  (I'm thinking of stopping social media for a while.. I've concluded that social media is not good for me) In fact I am thinking of going into hibernation for a bit despite our busy meet ups in December.  I'm glad the hubby is always there to put another perspective on it and cheer me on.  Tonight I started on this trail of pensive thoughts again and he looked at me, held my hands and said "we have it good here, my dear".

Love this cute Christmas cup form Costa.
I think the Starbucks ones are really pretty too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f