Skip to main content

A turnaround post

Right on the back of a somewhat depressing post, I have some excellent news to share.  I finally (and I stress the word finally!) passed my driving test!!  *cue celebratory music*

*cue more celebratory music and add in some happy dance!*

At this stage in life, there are two things which I want but they seem to be the bane of my life and just seem impossible.  They are not within my control and it has been an exasperating journey to say the least.  One of them is a driver's licence.  This painful journey started more than 8 years ago when I tried to get my driver's licence back in Singapore just before I relocated and gosh that was such an ordeal, even getting an earlier test date was a Herculean task in itself.  After going through hoops (some you wouldn't believe) they grudgingly offered me a test date right the day before I relocated to London - the chief tester was a sadist - and so needless to say I failed that one shot and had no chance to retake. That whole episode made me hate driving.

Fast forward years later, I knew in my heart I will never want to go through the horrible driving test system in Singapore again (too painful) and thought to myself I shall endeavour to get a licence here in the UK.  Of course a thought is just but a thought if you don't act on it.  Until the hubby started nagging me because he doesn't quite like to be the only driver in our household.  Whenever we go out for drinks with friends, he can't drink because he was driving that night.  And oh those times where the train doesn't work and he would pick me up from the nearest tube station?  Sadly I couldn't do the same for him so I understood his frustration.

Bear with me while I tell my story.

Many friends would think it's easier to get a driver's licence in the UK compared to Singapore.  I actually don't think so.  How it works here is this: you find an instructor (there are schools and there are private individuals) and he will pick you up from your home, have your lesson and then he drops you off back at home which is pretty nice.  There are several test centres dotted around London and which test centre depends on where you live.  You wouldn't want to brave the traffic to travel across London to do your driving test (the test lasts for 45min).  And on the day of the test, you would pay a rental fee to your instructor for the car, which includes an hour of lesson before the test.  If you fail and want to retake, the waitlist is usually about 2 months long.  Oh the agony.

So my journey here started more than 3 years ago.  Without knowing where or who to go to for lessons, I saw an online deal (similar to Groupon) and got this Indian instructor Nimish.  Nimish was a nice guy and we would chat during lessons as I learnt how to drive.  However due to the location of where we used to live, my test centre was in this horrible neighbourhood which has a complex population demographic, with very busy roads and lots of jaywalkers.  Seriously unpleasant neighbourhood.  But I had no choice with the test centre.  Unfortunately I had no success to a point where I would be on autopilot in booking the next test and the next.  Until one day K said to me, have you considered your instructor is not as good as you think?  Hmm no I haven't.  And I think K could have a point there.  Around that time we were moving to our current place which is too far from that horrible test centre so I stopped everything with confidence in driving at an all time low.  And it didn't help that I still hated driving, and I wrote off this whole episode with Nimish in my mind, treating it as lost money and time and tried to forget about it.

Soon we found out that living in the countryside, driving skills are really a necessity.  That's when I started thinking about driving lessons again.  I started enquiring with the more well known (or more established) driving schools in my area.  Wow I had no idea that there was actually a shortage of driving instructors in my area, so much so that I had to be put on a waitlist!  After a couple of weeks, I received a call saying a slot is made available and my instructor would be Chris.  Really I had no choice so I said yes, hoping Chris would be better than Nimish.

I started my first lesson with Chris last May and Chris is a really cool guy.  He's from the Caribbean and we always chat during my lesson.. from random stuff to our Brexit votes, and sometimes he would make me drive to some nice spots around where I live.  He made me drive up this hilly neighbourhood once and said the NYE fireworks could be seen from that spot.  Along the way he kept saying I should have no problem getting my licence.  And I slowly started to not mind driving.

Unfortunately the test system in this country isn't too forgiving.  Once a year or so we would read news reports about test centres' pass rates and London has the worst passing rates.  It seems like the further you go out of London, the easier it gets.  The test centre nearest to me is in Kent and the pass rate is like 39%.  Out of 10 students less than 4 pass.  Wow that's so encouraging.  The problem in my view is that examiners think too much of themselves because your fate lies in their hands.  They have all the power and they squeeze as much satisfaction they can get from their job.  And whilst it is not acknowledged, they have to fail some people everyday because it's not possible to pass everyone.  Sad to say but I won't be surprised if that day they just feel like failing x number of students because certain faults are very subjective and a thin line between passing and failing.

The last time I tried, I failed because I didn't drive fast enough on the motorway.  And I had 2 minor faults (out of 14).  That's it, how unforgiving.  I was on the verge of giving up and my manager assured me I wouldn't trump her number of attempts.  I told K "one more time" and Chris kept telling me not to give up.  So glad I didn't because today, I did it!!  4 minor faults and I am mightily pleased.  In fact when the tester told me I passed, I asked "really??"

I do think I'm one of the more unlucky ones to get this piece of paper, but oh well, it doesn't matter anymore.  Excuse me while I go frame up my certificate.  All the amount of time, money and effort taken to get this piece of paper.  I am so glad I won't have to put myself through the mental agony of going through another practical test - ever again!

A grainy pic which Chris asked me to pose next to the car

I was told my driver's license would arrive in two weeks' time.  Woohoo!

Told K I would take a selfie with Chris once I pass.
Chris says I won't have to see him again which is a double bonus. haha

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f