Skip to main content

Happy Birthday, my love

Last weekend was K's birthday.  We celebrated his birthday for the past 2 years in Singapore and this year was back in London.  He wanted a low key birthday celebration but we can't really not celebrate with friends and honour this amazing guy right?

Our friends arranged for a group dinner at Goodman Steakhouse, one of our favourite restaurants, wanting to bid one of our friends goodbye.  WL whom we met here via mutual friends, is ending his one year stint as an oncologist here in London and heading home to continue his good works helping cancer patients.  I told them that K's birthday was 3 days away and Rachel being the sweet friend that she is, told me she would order a cake and bring in to surprise K.

The food was delicious as usual, and the bottle of Malbec wine we ordered went with the steak perfectly.  Being light drinkers, the waiter must think it's almost a miracle to share one bottle of wine amongst 6 people.  We shared a couple of sides and K's favourite is still the honey glazed carrots.



All the best WL!

Birthday boy




Group pic

For the weekend, I told K I would plan it for him.  He just needed to relax and turn up.

On Saturday, I arranged a surprise lunch with K's friends at Burger and Lobster.  That was my second choice because there were kids in the group and the menu there is somewhat limited.  However because we were a group of 10, not many restaurants in the area we wanted to go to had a table for 10 at that time.  K had no idea and we were running pretty late.  I had to keep a calm face and told him we were 20min late for my table reservation.  Finally when we arrived at the restaurant he was really surprised to see everyone at the table.  Surprise a success, whoop!  
On a side note the prices at Burger and Lobster have increased.  Our friends say it's because the GBP rate has fallen so much they needed to adjust for the FX rate.  So sad, I think we won't go that often from now on.

On Sunday he was clueless where we were going for lunch.  I figured with work the next day, lunch is a better choice than dinner.  I found a really good deal at Galvin at the Athenaeum, and told them it's my husband's birthday.  When we arrived at Green Park, there was a St. Paddy's Day procession which was pretty interesting.  The recently refurbished Athenaeum Hotel was about a 10min walk away.  As it was Sunday lunch, we were given the roast menu which was pretty good.  Our set lunch included a glass of bubbly too.


My massive sirloin Sunday roast which I struggled to finish.  It was very good.

Hubby ordered beef brisket so it was more cooked than mine, and very tender

A nice gesture from the wait staff

Not sure if they ran out of the "Happy Birthday" ones?

Happy with his Banoffee Sundae

My blood orange cheesecake with Varlhona chocolate ice cream
Love the colour gradient of the cake

Oh the illusion of long legs

All-too-serious reading for a Sunday

A couple shot before we left the place

https://www.athenaeumhotel.com/restaurant-bar/galvin-at-the-athenaeum/


Dear K, of late we speak of your dreams and plans.. I pray that this is the year where we see God fulfilling the desires of your heart, no matter how big or small.  As you enjoy your sabbatical I pray that you find you, your purpose, and your spark in life.  Our adventure here is nothing I take for granted and I cherish every day living life with you, here just the two of us, as we learn more about each other, and as we learn to care for each other more and more.  I pray for health and wholeness.  I pray you find life joy in whatever you do.  So glad our paths crossed here in London 6 years ago.  Love you so much, Wifey

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f