Skip to main content

Hello, Spring

Happy Easter everyone, hope you are enjoying this long weekend.

A bit slow on updates here as life has been very busy.  We are doing some major house renovations at the moment so we are living in a construction site (pretty much), although the builders have tried their best to leave the house as liveable as possible.  Our kitchen is gone now so having meals is a bit challenging these days.  (We bought our first - yes, first - microwave two weeks ago in anticipation of the loss of a cooking facility!)  And then there is much packing to be done.  Oh don't even remind me... it's a massive project so until things stabilise I will blog more about it.  It's all umm.. very exciting yet very stressful as you can imagine.  Living outside our comfort zone at the moment!

On a happier note, I have some Spring pics to share.

We took a walk in a park a few Saturdays ago and saw flowers blooming

A beautiful magnolia tree

We were in Kingston two Saturdays ago and this beautiful Jo Malone shop stopped me in my tracks.
How cute is this lil thing!

Our own cherry blossom in our garden.  Always such a joy to see these beautiful white flowers every Spring

The pink hyacinths and the red tulips I planted last November did bloom!  So exciting!

Another pic of the tulips

And of course not forgetting the British yellow daffodil

We tried to take a selfie in front of our cherry tree

And soon the flowers will drop and seeds will grow into cherries


Two Fridays ago was a day of beautiful sunshine and I managed to knock off at 5ish.  I called K to say I was on my way home and he suggested taking a walk at Greenwich Park to take advantage of the evening warmth.  That sounds like a pretty good idea, romantic too if you ask me, and so yes we arranged to meet at Cutty Sark.  I had some fruits with me whilst he brought some crisps.  We sat on our picnic mat and started our pre dinner snack of crisps and fruits.  (I know I mentioned a walk in the park but really, it was a sit-down in the park lol).  We decided to be impromptu that evening and not even care about when dinner would be or what we would be eating.  Within 20min the sunshine retreated and the wind blew.  Ooh it's turned chilly!  Perhaps we sat there for only 30min but that was actually a nice break from the normal evening nights so I was pretty happy.

The view walking into Greenwich Park.  Gorgeous.

~~~~~~~

The night before we went to Greenwich Park I was out for dinner with an ex-colleague and also a dear friend, Kat.  Kathryn and I go a long way back, in fact way before I came over to London.  Our friendship is now in it's 10th year.  Back in the day, she started working at JPM and had a work trip to Singapore.  Like how we always extend our warm hospitality to overseas visitors to our office, a few of us brought Kat out for dinner (twice I think) and apparently our warmth blew her away, till this day.  We brought her to Jumbo seafood and ate crabs (the proper way, i.e. with hands) the night she was due to fly back to London - she said she boarded the plane smelling of garlic and spices on her fingers lol.  

We still talk about that crabby night till this day

When I transferred over to the London office, it was that coincidental that we were in the same team in Emerging Markets.  We sat next to each other and she introduced me to some British lingo and the British culture (what's a Sunday roast?  How does posh English sound like?  Or what about the cockney accent?).  She found it strange that we Singaporeans don't drink as much as them, whilst I found it strange to hear her say things like "oh I just want to go out and get really drunk tonight".  (But why would you want to get really drunk?)  She would always ask "where are you travelling to again for this weekend, Bel?"  Ah those were the days, we giggled so much at work it was like we were back at school.

Don't get me wrong.  We worked really hard too.  Kat is probably one of the most dedicated colleagues I've ever had.  Us girls went through some thick and thin together in the course of our work- one very unforgettable day when we were working out how much our trader has made for a certain trade he did (still remember it was a Total Return Swap - oh god don't even ask me what it is now) and because the notional was in millions (I remember lots of zeros in my calculator), any small variation to the P&L components resulted in big swings.  We started at 9am that day and worked tirelessly throughout that day, skipping lunch even.  I think we annoyed the hell out of the trader that day because 6pm came and we still had no idea what to tell him.  He was getting impatient and we were getting desperate.  Our manager was on holiday and we had to call him but obviously it was pretty hard to help via the phone.  I think that fateful day in 2009 brought us closer together (and clearly away from the trader!).  Even though I've left JPM, we still keep in touch.  Not frequently but perhaps a meal once every 4-6 months.  She's a busy mom of two now and lives far away from me so meeting up is not that easy.  For dinner that night, she ordered two drinks to go with whereas I had one, and we had a laugh again about how she always drinks more than me.  I don't think this fact will ever change. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f