Skip to main content

A day in the life... of me!

The alarm goes off at 7am for me.  I snooze a little and get out of bed.  K wakes up at 730am and literally takes 10min flat to be ready and out of the house.  Together we leave the house at 7.40am and take the 7.46am train every morning.  It is always a race to get seats in the train if I be honest.  Depending on luck, one of us might get a seat or on good days we both would get seats haha

We arrive at the train station about 35min later and walk to office, it is a good 20min walk for me.  I usually arrive about 8.40am and about half of my colleagues are in by then.  We greet one another good morning and sometimes ask each other how was the evening before, whether we did anything nice.  I log in and start checking my mailbox, and decide what are the important things to be done that day.  I go to the canteen on the first floor to get some breakfast.  Most of the time it is peanut butter toast, sometimes I add a hash brown and some baked beans.  Or it could be toast with a fried egg or boiled egg if I feel I should be healthy.  Then I go to the coffee machine and get a decaf latte, or make myself a cup of earl grey tea with milk.  Gosh it does sound like quite a sumptuous breakfast doesn't it?  I guess they say we should start our day right!

Currently we are gearing up towards another quarter end, and we are monitoring how the numbers for each business are faring so far.  I have also been looking out for published research papers, where analysts are predicting the upcoming Q3 results for all the big investment banks.  It is my job to update my manager and my CFO on how our numbers are looking, and any hot topics to highlight.  Naturally we are all on the private side so we aren't allowed to trade the bank's shares during this blackout period.  I also have to come up with a very organised schedule for the next one month, where there are deliverables, all related to our earnings announcement at the end of next month.  I used to think I am a very organised person but two years into this job I think my organisation skills have reached another level.  My manager has very high expectations of everyone in her team, me included.  But she is a fair and unbiased manager so I guess that is fine.  She is also very open to feedback in both ways.  She doesn't hesitate to give feedback about my performance, and actively seeks one from me, to see how she can improve as a manager.  This is something which I don't get with past managers that I've had.  Once quarter end comes along, we will work very closely with Group Reporting and Investor Relations on the messaging/ story for the quarter.  We all work towards the day where we announce our earnings publicly.  It's all one crazy, intense month as you can imagine.

Lunch is usually a simple affair.  Most people have lunches at their desks.  I do that too, but try to limit that by arranging lunch appointments ever so often.  They definitely aren't as frequent as lunch appointments back home.  And no, nobody takes a 1.5h lunch here, unlike in Singapore.  Funny as it sounds, because most lunches are at my desk, I've turned to reading the news so much ever since I came to London, while eating my food.  Much more than when I was back in Singapore.  As the weather is turning cooler these days, I often prefer hot food such as a hearty soup, or a hot wrap or toastie.  Sushi could do sometimes, but I need a steaming hot miso soup to go along.  There are quite a few Asian choices in the vicinity so it ain't that bad.

Thankfully work on lull months does not require me to work long hours.  I try to leave to catch the 6.50pm train, or sometimes the 7.10pm one.  On very good days I can take the 6.25pm train and get home just after 7pm to start cooking dinner.  People generally leave earlier on Fridays so I can leave as early as 5.30pm and start my weekend.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f