Skip to main content

Special weekend | Baby Shower

This past weekend was a pretty special one.  Firstly, it was my baby shower on Saturday, and secondly, my good friend Priscilla flew over on Friday to spend the weekend, with the intention of joining in my baby shower.  Months ago, Gabby asked me about my thoughts of a baby shower, and that she would be honoured to organise one for me.  She said all I needed to do was to give her a list of names, and come up with a baby shower gift list which she could pass on to the guests.  She also asked me to pick a date, and I came up with 18th November, a Saturday.  That was ages ago.  Then as time drew nearer, my excitement increased, and I suddenly had the thought of asking if Pris wanted to fly in for a weekend in London and be part of my celebration.

I took last Friday off, and waited at home for her to turn up.  It was a bit of an adventure for her, in terms of getting to mine from Gatwick Airport, in that she took the wrong train and ended up further out in Kent!  Thankfully at least she was in Kent; it could have been worse ;)  We settled down, and then we left the house.  We went into Central London with the intention of doing a bit of shopping, and then we were to meet a group of friends for dinner at her request - Chinese food in Chinatown please!  It was a relatively big group: 8 of us and we ordered a feast that night.  When we stepped out of the restaurant it was close to 10pm and I was surprised at K's suggestion to go for a drink at one of our fav haunts - The Savoy.  (We love the location because it is close enough to our train station.)  Friday nights are always good because of the live jazz band playing, and that particular Friday night it was more crowded than usual.  Nonetheless we could get good couch seats in the Thames Foyer.  It was close to midnight when we made our way to the train station.  I realised that our lives would be a stark contrast to this night once the baby arrives.  No more late nights such as this, so we should make the most out of it!  I mean, I've been sleeping past 1am for the past two nights!


Saturday was the 'big day'.  I ordered a platter of sandwiches and a rainbow layered cake from M&S, and we picked it up in the late morning, just before Gabby arrived closed to 1pm to start decorating the place.  Her instruction for me was to leave everything in the kitchen, and she would start decorating the place.  She asked K to drive me out somewhere, however because it was cold and rainy, and we didn't really know where to go.  Pris was helping out in the kitchen, and so did Rachel who arrived just after 1pm.  It ended up with K and I hiding out in our study room upstairs for more than an hour while we heard the girls talking and laughing in our kitchen downstairs, in between the sounds of balloons bursting.  K left after a while to get his hair cut and I almost dozed off on our bed.  We had a couple of last minute drop outs that morning according to Gabby and so it was to be a cosy 8 girls that afternoon.  Gabby came upstairs at 2.30pm and put a 'Mummy to be' sash on me and led me to the kitchen.


WOW I was shocked.  Was that my kitchen??  The decor and everything was so beautiful!  And the guests have arrived by then.  I'll let the pictures do the talking.

This looks like it's out of a Pinterest board!

With me and my huge belly

And with everyone else + Rachel as our photographer

Gabby baked these cupcakes with my personalised toppers till midnight the night before, bless her

Party essentials thanks to Amazon

How cute is this string of baby clothes?  Guess you know the gender by now!


Ooh we all love this very instagrammable cake

Close up of the food including rainbow cake


She's one of the greatest blessings in my life here
Mingling about, just before we opened our bottles of bubbly

 


We played some games - this was where the girls are meant to cut a string which measures to the size of my belly


And Pris won this round!

Opening some presents


I have to say I received many books during this pregnancy. This one, according to Gabby, was like her bible when her baby girl was first born.

The morning after was calm and quiet. I love the balloons and pom poms and decided to take one more shot before taking them down.

I bought some 'Advice cards' for the lovely aunts to fill out

And a frame to put in little messages on wooden clouds for baby

Parting shot with Pris before she left today with two full suitcases of goodies from London.  I'm sure her boys have missed her much!

All in all, this was a pretty awesome weekend, with me and baby feeling all the love we could get.  Special mention to Gabby as usual, who is always there for me, and to two special guests who travelled far and wide: Pris who flew in from Stuttgart Germany, and to Phillipa for driving 3h down from Oxford to be part of this celebration.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f