Skip to main content

Creating beautiful memories | Maternity Photos


For some time I was toying with the idea of a maternity photoshoot.  A part of me said "nah, you don't need it", but the other part longed for some lasting beautiful memories.  When I chanced upon this particular German photographer's maternity pics on Instagram, I fell in love with her works and reached out to her sometime in October.  Turned out her prices were pretty reasonable by London's standards.  Katharina's based both in Cologne and London, and she requested that I pay a deposit of £50 first, and we agreed on a date for the one hour shoot.  With that I hoped that she would turn up on the agreed date, time and place.  To be honest it was quite a mission and when she was uncontactable leading up to the day, I told K that my £50 has probably gone down the drain.

Finally on a sunny wintry morning in Danson Park in Bexley, Kent, she turned up with her family no less.  See, she is a stay at home mum, and for shoots such as this, she will always bring her boys and her husband will be the driver (a family mobilisation).  Whilst she does the shoot, her husband will bring the boys to run around and wait.  I think it's a fab model.  What is so great about her business model in my view, is that she supplies the maternity dresses and flower crowns.  Things which you don't necessarily own or want to own just for an one hour shoot.  We met at the carpark and in the most non-dodgy fashion, they opened their car boot and showed us plastic boxes full of dresses.  She helped me narrow down to 3 choices - they were all big and dramatic dresses - and said I could choose two for the shoot.  She would then bring out the matching flower crowns.  Wow ok, this wasn't quite how I envisioned it to be, although I didn't quite know what to expect either.  She asked me to change in the nearby pub, and she will be waiting.  Well, ok let's do this!

It was about 8-10 degrees that morning but thankfully with the sun it felt a little warmer than that.  I had asked K to wear a formal shirt with jeans but he is very camera shy and therefore needed some encouragement to take a few shots with him in them.  He volunteered to sit on the bench and watch our belongings.  Katharina said for maternity shots, there are very limited poses to what I can do, other than look at the bump lovingly, or look at the camera whilst holding the bump, or look very much in love with your husband/partner and hold the bump together.

I shall spare the in between details of how I had to chase her for the photos afterwards, but suffice to say, I love how they turned out so I shall rate her 4 stars out of 5.

I saw this figure hugging lace dress from one of her Instagram posts and loved it, so I picked this and she matched it with her white flower crown.  We spent most of the time in the Old English Garden of Danson Park.







Then I changed into this big and dramatic pink dress because we are having a girl you see ;)




K was tasked to throw the dress high up in the air and he was photoshopped away lol


This was my closing shot, on the steps of Danson House

Although the package was for 10 photos, I couldn't resist and bought 2 more.  Loved them and her dramatic dresses really made a difference, do you think?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f