Skip to main content

Last day before my maternity leave

This is it.  I said a temporary goodbye to my colleagues last Friday, and to be honest, last week at work I didn't do much.  My manager wanted my maternity cover to do most of the work whilst I make sure he does it correctly so I was just busy meeting up with people for coffee catch ups, showing off bump (heh) and saying good bye.  Baby is doing well, and growing well too, so well that a lot of people were very concerned when they found out we have not packed our hospital bag.  Karen the team assistant, keeps reminding me "Belinda, oh look at that bump!  Not much space left!  You need to pack that hospital bag!"  And Phil who sits beside me, keeps reminding me that his daughter came a month early and they were so ill prepared he doesn't want the same thing to happen to us.  I always laugh and say "ok yes we will Phil.  This weekend!" and he would always smile and shake his head and reply "if it happens, you know I've warned you.  Yes I am nagging at you, you can tell your husband that."

Friday itself was out of the ordinary.  I actually organised a team lunch - something which doesn't happen very often here - at Pizza Express.  In the morning I had a year-end review with my manager Fiona, and I was surprised she gave me a very good review (remember I mentioned before that she has very high expectations and we've had a few run ins this year especially during quarter ends).  She expressed her observation that I have grown more confident in the role in the past year, and she's appreciative that I know when to escalate to her, and when to leave her alone, especially she has so many roles (or hats as we call it).  She is also appreciative that I started writing my work procedures since June, "thereby setting up your replacement for success".  I came out feeling good about my performance for the year overall.

After lunch, Fiona had back to back meetings till 6pm, and so Karen scheduled an early farewell speech for me, in which they were to present me with the baby gifts and a speech from Fiona.  It's always kinda awkward, where everyone crowds round you, manager gives a speech about you, and then you have to give a speech as well.  Fiona tried to make it light hearted, and joked at how organised I am, so much so that I try to run my household in the same manner (ahem yes I alluded to this fact during my year end appraisal to her that morning).  Amongst other small funny anecdotes.  They then pulled forward this huge box and presented me with the presents.  Oh wow, Christmas has come early.  They did discuss about how do I get home with the huge box, and they said they obtained approval from our big boss to send me home in a taxi.  Which was very kind of them.  I gave a short speech thanking everyone, and ... actually I can't really remember what I said anymore haha but at some point Maria shouted out saying I sound like I'm not coming back, to which I replied saying "unfortuantely, my husband has made it very clear I need to come back to work.."

Since K works near me, I called him if he could leave earlier that evening to share the cab back home, which he did.  And on Saturday we both sat down and opened all the presents.

Christmas has come early

Our blessed baby girl

A large card from the team, and a small one from my manager


Opening a pack of bodysuits

Another cute bodysuit

A parasol??  Later we found out it's meant for the pushchair.  Hmm not sure if we will use it though?
I mean, there is hardly any sunlight in this country... ;)

That's it, I am now facing the next stage of life, a different kind of crazy, hectic one, but supposedly a very rewarding one they say.  For now until baby decides to make an appearance, I shall start my nesting phase and enjoy some me-time!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f