Skip to main content

Pipa Tofu Recipe

Pipa Tofu

Following my previous post, I also tried a tofu recipe - Pipa Tofu.  This one's hard work I won't lie.  It started with me thinking of the types of dishes we usually order at Chinese restaurants and this dish popped into my mind.  Hmm, it shouldn't be too hard right?  I googled for the recipe and even drove to the Chinese supermarket to get my ingredients and planned on which day to cook it to surprise the hubby.  So organised.

I remember starting the prep work whilst Isabelle was at the childminder.  It was about 5pm.  "One hour should be enough" I thought.  At 5.30pm, K called and I asked if he could pick Isabelle up instead as I was still busy preparing "a surprise dinner dish".  I had to keep turning my head to check the recipes.  See the thing is, I found two recipes and as I couldn't decide which was better, I decided to amalgamate both.  Cue smarty pants.

Hubby and Isabelle stepped into the door at 6.30pm and the kitchen "smelt heavenly" according to K.   I was very busy pan frying the individual tofu dishes.  He was surprised at me trying this dish, and kept rubbing his hands saying "wow you have outdone yourself with this one!".  Erm thanks, I was trying to stay positive and all I wanted to do was to go through frying all the tofu pieces which was honestly, taking forever.

We don't have any deep fryer and we almost never cooked any deep fried food in our kitchen.  I always wonder what do I do with the leftover oil?  Anyway what I did was to pan fry the pieces in batches of 5.  I ended up with more than 30 pieces of pipa tofu, to be eaten between two of us.

Finally at 730pm I collapsed into our dining chair and declared to a hungry husband that "dinner can finally be served!"  I smelt like oily tofu all over and all I wanted was to run upstairs to take a nice shower to rid of the oil smell, change into my PJs and crash into bed.  No mention of sinking my teeth into the delicious dish.

The dish was good, don't get me wrong.  A good first attempt, dare I say.  Mental note to myself should I be brave to try it again, is to have more kitchen towel to soak up the oil.  And half the recipe!  Hubby enjoyed the dish but when he saw my end state, he suggested this could be the first and the last time I cook Pipa Tofu.

I don't know, I might muster the courage again someday, but for now, recipe to share below :)

Pi Pa Tofu


Ingredients

Tofu mix:
450g pressed tofu, mashed
Prawns x6 (I used large prawns), chopped finely
250g minced pork
1 large carrot, finely grated
6 pcs medium sized Shitake mushrooms, soaked and chopped
3 stalks of spring onions, chopped
A handful of coriander, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Drizzle of sesame oil
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 egg
1/4 cup all purpose flour

For the sauce:
1/2 inch ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
1stalk of spring onion, sliced diagonally
1/2 tablespoon light soy sauce
1 tablespoon oyster sauce
1/2 teaspoon dark soy sauce
300ml of water
To thicken: 1 tablespoon of corn starch mixed with 3 tablespoons of water

Steps
In a large bowl, mix all the ingredients under 'tofu mix' together.  Break tofu up with a fork and mix all other ingredients well.  Add egg and cornflour last of all.

The mixture of tofu, pork, prawns amongst many other ingredients


Prepare the tofu pieces by using two dessert spoons, carefully "quenelle" the tofu mix.  Lay it in a pan of hot oil.  Extra care with turning as you don't want them to disintegrate.  Fry in batches of no more than 6 as you want to maintain the high heat, 5-6 minutes on each side until they turn golden brown.  Remove from hot oil and drain on (lots of) kitchen paper.  I had to keep replenishing the cooking oil as they were very quickly absorbed by the tofu mix.  This is the most tedious step.

The start of my pan frying journey that evening. Patience very much needed!


Sauce - mix the ingredients together and set aside.  In a pan, heat up some oil and fry the ginger and spring onion.  Pour sauce into pan and let it boil.  Stir in the cornflour mixture to thicken the sauce.  Transfer tofu pieces into this pan to be cooked together with the sauce for a few minutes.

Finally :)

Serve and enjoy!


Sources:
https://cookpad.com/uk/recipes/416712-pipa-tofu?via=search&search_term=Mary%20ann%20sia
https://www.uk.lkk.com/pei-pa-tofu

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jubilee Weekend | Afternoon Tea Party

http://www.thediamondjubilee.org/ Today is the end of the Jubilee celebrations and how better to end it off than to have an afternoon tea party in the company of friends, while watching the celebrations on our TV.  It has been quite an emotional afternoon, in the good sense of course.  I don't think I've ever seen Queen Elizabeth on TV (and heard the national anthem God Save the Queen) more than these 3 days combined, but this Jubilee weekend has made me grew to love and admire this lady.  She is 86 and reminds me so much of my own granny, and her strength is amazing.  Imagine being sworn in as queen at the age of 26.  (I mean, what was I doing when I was 26?)  On Sunday when she and Prince Philip went onboard the Spirit of Chartwell boat to watch the River Pageant, it was cold and windy but they stood throughout the 3 hours event.  It was said she was offered some hot tea and a seat, which she both said no to.  I love my grandma but I have to say I don't think

Sleep, baby sleep

I had an idea to blog about Isabelle's sleep behaviour the other day.  Before having Isabelle, I had not the slightest idea how big the sleep topic is for a baby, and now a toddler.  I merely assumed that babies will sleep, no matter what, right?  Because they are tired right?  No, of course not.  Isabelle showed me how much she could and can fight sleep even when she is tired.  As a new mum, I did not know how to read her sleepy signs, and more often than not, she would be overtired by the time I catch her signs and by then she is cranky and crying.  Oh the tears.  From Isabelle and mummy. The early months Sleep has always been an issue for me when Isabelle was born.  She cried non stop every evening for hours on end, and we had no idea what to do with her.  Colic was the word most used on such babies, and everyone comforted us that this difficult phase would be over within 3 months.  I still remembered uttering "3 months?!" under my breath.  Not 3 weeks?  

Murder Mystery Dinner Party

Two Saturdays ago we were invited to the Kim's for a themed dinner, specifically a Murder Mystery dinner party.  What is that, you might ask.  It was our first time attending such a dinner too, and so how it works is: a group of people attend a dinner party.  Each is assigned a role and will be given a script to read that night.  The aim of the party is to identify a murderer in the midst of us by the end of the night.  The hosts would work off a dinner game set (they got it off Amazon) and it comes with proper invites, setting/ scene, table name cards, scripts and even a suggested menu.  Clearly RX is an Agatha Christie fan. Two weeks beforehand, we received our invites in the postbox, telling us what roles we each have been assigned and the suggested attire (and props if necessary).  Interesting yes? The dinner was to start at 7pm and we were to have 8 people that night.  It's all very mysterious… Our invitation cards assigned K the role of Monsieur Bertrand, a f